High Mileage Club Medallion

Woo-hoo! Got my 100K mile medallion yesterday.

Looked at the back of it and saw the double-sided tape. SAY WHAT?!?!@?

So, where do you put it and how sturdy is the tape? Or should I do a bit of soldering and put a wire loop on the back.

BTW, anyone in Canada or the US can get these (170,000 KM is 100K miles) by calling the Volvo Fulfillment toll-free line and takes about a month to get.

Medallions are for 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 750 thousand and the BIG ONE!

Two people at work are also "in the club", one flashed me his 300K badge and mentioned that getting it made his father decide to buy one

-- a S40 Turbo!

Reply to
Byrocat

I mounted mine using "Shoe Goop" onto my grille. 3 brutal Ottawa winters, and it's still on there good and solid.

Car is at 232k miles, and purring like a kitten.

BTW, 100 Miles (statute) equals 160.934 Kilometers

RS

Reply to
Rusty

Reply to
Andy Burke

Is that unassisted or can you have new motors etc? Even my last Ford did over 300,000km before it died of rust, but had some big repairs to get there. In the 60's a car which did 100,000 miles without major work was considered fairly good, but now very few would not pass that laughing.

Reply to
jg

Yup. My last Volvo did over 200K miles without any major work done on it. When I finally sold it, it was because I was rear-ended, and I didn't feel like driving a car with potential structural damage.

The only "bad" Volvo I've had was my first 240. I got it used with around 50K miles on it, and the radiator fan fell out about 30K miles later. I was on my way to Kinko's to get my graduate thesis copied so I could hand it in, and the thing fell out with the mounting bracket as I did a pot-hole.

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

that must have been some pothole......

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

That's a real worry, but would you condemn a whole car for it? Then again I've seen pot holes on the Nullabor Plain which could make all the passengers drop out. Hey there's never a good time for a car to stop.

Reply to
jg

It is designed to go inside the car. The tape is not an exterior grade. It goes inside like rally medallions.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

that must have been some pothole......

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Cleveland - early '90s -- combination of bad city services and winter. The hole was on Murray Hill drive - a street that connects Cleveland and Cleveland Heights. As best as I could tell, both cities pretty much ignored that street.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Hang on to your braces Andy, VOC (UK) are sorting something out at this very moment. Access the website and/or join the VOC and all the eagerly waiting members.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

My '65 Amazon is at 63,000 miles. Odds are, the odometer has flipped at least once in that time, but I have no way to confirm or deny, so I guess I'll start with my first in 37,000 more. In Southern California, that should only take 10 months. :)

Reply to
Cormac Foster

that's a drag...i was buzzin' along in my 02 s80, stero going, crusin @ aprox 60mph on a remote country road... when it suddenly went paved to dirt...there was a very large poy hole @ the "seam"...I hit that baby hard...the whole car shook, and the tape popped right out of the stero head...it ended up putting a big ding in the alum wheel...wheel had to be replaced $450....car aligned, etc...i had a quick lesson in driving "ahead" or "behind" the car ...

other than the radiator problem, did you like the 240? did it ever leave you "stranded"?

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

No Volvo has ever left me stranded. And that's why I used "bad" in quotes in my original message. I've owned a 240, a 740, a

760 Turbo, an 850 and an S70.

The best behaved has been the 850. The most comfortable to drive was definitely the 760 Turbo.

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Bev...what year was your 850?

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

'96. The S70 is a '99. I think '96 and '97 are the best years for the 850. I don't think '99 is as bad as '98 for the S70, but here are the four problems we've had with the S70: a) Tail lights burning out every 2 - 3 months. They were always replaced in pairs. This problem disappeared mysteriously by itself. b) Sunroof leak - fixed under warranty c) Passenger side window came off the tracks - easily fixed, but this shouldn't happen with normal usage. d) AC evaporator had to be replaced - expensive repair.

In contrast, the 850 has been trouble-free. The same two people drive both cars. We've haven't even had the notorious shift-lock microswitch give way. The only complaint I have about the 850 is that the body panels ding more easily than older Volvos or the S70. So at grocery stores and malls, I've learned to park not too close to other cars.

This year we're trading the S70 in for either a S40 or a V50.

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

thanx Bav for the info...this will help in my selection of my next used volvo....richard / colorado

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Took the 18 months, but I just got mine a few days ago too--got 126 now!

I KNOW! My wife does not want it on the car at all...sigh...

Reply to
Steve n Holly