Rain sensor XC70 self install

Has anybody added on a 3rd party self install windshield mounted rain sensor to their XC70 (2001)? Any brand recommendations? Does Volvo do this? how well does it work? Thanks for any info/advice/experiences.

Reply to
jadder

This is one gismo that I wouldn't want to use. When and at what speed to turn on wipers doesn't just depend upon rainfall, it depends upon traffic, splashes, cleanliness of the windshield, time of day, position of the sun if it is out also, oncoming headlights and many other factors. I think this is a very stupid idea since the visibility problem is right in front of your eyes and the control is at your finger tip.

On the other hand, I use cruise control constantly, even on back roads and some city streets. It is my way of not getting speeding tickets. I set my speed to a safe speed below where they start giving tickets and let it control. The fastest way to get between two points is to accelerate quickly to just below the enforcement level and stay there. Cruise is the best way to do this.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

I agree. Adjustable intermittant additions are nice but "auto on" devices are a waste of time and money.

Cruise also has its place on long trips as beign able to move your legs about prevents cramping and blood loss which also slows reaction time. It is also good for people with leg or lower back problems.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Just because you have this feature, don't think that's the only way the wipers will come on. You still can disable the automatic setting, and you can still manually turn the wipers on as well. It just gives you an additional way of activating the wipers. I drove a friend's Mercedes in light mist on the highway equipped with this feature, and it worked very well - at lower speeds the interval stretched out, and at higher speeds the wipers came on more frequently. Never once did I think the wipers had wiped too late.

Reply to
Mike F

But the Mercedes didn't have a 3rd party self install module did it?

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Reply to
Mike F

thanks for the opinions. I am not car savvy at all, I just love the function that was factory installed in my mother's 2004 XC70, so I'm trying to replicate it in my 2001. This is what I've been looking at:

wondering if this sounds like something a complete car ignoramus like myself can install and whether or not it will work in my Volvo.

Reply to
jadder

Reply to
Mike F