Reverse Light Problem - '98 V70

I have a manual (stick-shift) gearbox. When selecting reverse, the reverse light at the tail of the car only comes on if I pull back hard on the gear stick.

I'm assuming that there's some kind of pressure switch next to the gear stick that closes a circuit and makes the reverse light come on.

Is this the case? Is it an easy fix to locate this switch and either reposition or replace it?

I need to get this sorted otherwise my car will get failed on its MOT for not haing a reverse light.

All help/advice gratefully received.

Tim

Reply to
volvo

While I haven't worked on a V70, every other manual transmission car I've dealt with has a plunger switch screwed into a hole in the gearbox housing. If the switch is bad, you have to replace it. In a FWD car it will likely be under the hood somewhere near the top of the gearbox.

Reply to
James Sweet

Replace the switch on the gearbox (under the battery) - common fault. Switch is ~£24 from Volvo.

tim (another)

Reply to
Tim..