Too Much Oil

To make a long story short, my wife took my 93 940 turbo in for a oil change and the silly people put 5qts in instead of 4....what do I have to look forward to?....engine damage?....Thanks

Reply to
Michael Rose

Probably nothing, just loosen the plug and drain a bit out. If it's way too full you can clog the breather and blow the oil seals, but an extra quart probably won't cause any problems.

Reply to
James Sweet

I use 4.5 in my 92 940 non turbo. I believe the filter takes some.

Reply to
daniel federico

The capacity of the stock filter is included in factory oil capacity specs. You should only need to use more oil if you use a larger filter, or add an oil cooling system to a car without one.

Reply to
mjc1

I never use more than four quarts, and that includes oil filter change.

Reply to
Mr. V

Michael, rest easy. Four or five quarts is a minor issue.

Several years ago my then-teenage son put 12 quarts in my 164. Fortunately, nothing broke but oil came out all over the place. Funny now -- wasn't then.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
Chuck Fiedler

The original poster should go back to the outfit where the oil change was done and asked to have one quart removed. It is stated clearly in the owner's manual 4 quarts or litres (btw, a quart = 0.95 of a litre).

Another barbaric way to remove oil would be to remove the fuse for the fuel pump and removing the oil filler cap and covering the opening with a large towel. Cranking the engine (it won't start since the fuel pump is off) should allow oil to be absorbed by the towel and reducing total quantity of oil. Like I said, pretty barbaric, but beats going under the car...

Reply to
Someone

Are you bleeding DAFT or just REALLY anal-retentive?!

Reply to
Chuck Fiedler

Excessive oil should overflow and come out from the place at the dipstick. It will also hurt fuel economy as too much oil will obstruct the moving parts within the engine.

Reply to
ngu