01 Jetta Radio Q's

I got 2 radios from other 01 Jettas on Ebay and have all security codes but am wondering if this is an easy swap. It should just be plug in, enter the code and play the unit but the dealership has given me some pause by saying the other radios may not work correctly and may mess up the security system on my Jetta among other things. I would assume an aftermarket radio would cause some problems but I would think that the factory radios would just plug in and work fine. I have the small radio with no midrange adjustment and have bought two of the units with the midrange adjust on them. Thanks

John

Reply to
John Mister

The problem I see is you have purchased "Monsoon" head units, where as your original unit was non Monsoon. Monsoon units send the output signal to an external amp. Since your Jetta did not have the Monsoon system, you will not have the amp (and I don't think your car would be pre-wired).

The alarm issue, IMHO, is a non issue. Both types of radios are tied into the CCM the same way.

Now I've heard "rumor" (best way to put it) that Monsoon and non Monsoon head units have the same guts, the only differant is the "MID" button and "BAL/FAD" button labels. By coding the radio, you can toggle between different behavior. I've never tried to take a regular head unit, recode it so it thinks it is a Monsoon and see if everything works.

Reply to
Pencilneck