16v swap into mk2 Gl

Im working on somewhat a sleeper, not race car standards or anything, but recently I picked up a 16v engine, it's the 2l model which apparently has a little more low end growl. Along with the swap I want to upgrade my suspension, and the table bushing on the passengers side is completely shot, so that will have to be replaced also. Also im taking the a/c compressor and power steering pump off, for weight and drag reduction. Any comments? Basically I picked up the whole fuel injection system, pumps, fuel dist, ecu, engine and everything for 400 canadian, good deal? the head and block both have 160 000 km, but i plan on to rebuild anyways, The tranny also is a mk2 gti 8v, which im told isnt as gfood as the 16v tranny, any comments?

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

Why would it be considered a "sleeper"? Didn't the 1992 Jetta GLIs and Golf GTIs possibly come with the optional

2.0l 16V engine? Now if you stick a turbo or super charger in it...................then I would consider it a sleeper! ;-) Or a VR6 engine. lol

Besides maybe some different gears in the 16V transmission, the input shaft is wider in diameter and must match the clutch disc. So the transmission should work.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Hence the "somewhat".My golf isnt a gti nor a gli. Just a plain looking gl golf. Yea, I know I have to use the 16v pressure plate with the 8v clutch. Also i do want to rebuild the engien with forged internals, and eventually slap a turbo on, but for now a NA 16v 2.0.

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

Well you already have that 16V 2.0l engine and the turbo would make it a good "Sleeper"! IMHO Some of the turbo engines have oil squirters that lube the bottoms of the pistons and cylinders. This in on some of the turbo diesels and the 1.8t engines. The 1.8t and diesels, are also supposed to have forged parts inside so you are thinking into the future for a good long-lived engine.

Now will the transmission be able to apply that power to the wheels over the long term? hmmm well if you break it build the next one better! ;-)

Did you want to post your engine "recipe" in this newsgroup?

I am currently rebuilding a stock 1.8t engine that had a rod knock, so I am getting intimate with it. ;-) Those pistons are tiny for my tastes, but I don't relish a beyond the $3,000 price tag on boring and stroking it. 8^o And it is going in an automatic anyway! :-(

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

A John Deere green 87 golf isn't plain looking. ;-) You've come a long way in six months.

Reply to
samstone

No man, that thing is long gone, scrapped it. I have a 2 door charcoal grey now, took the snowflake rims from it though.

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

Alright I've got everything gutted, I'm having a bit of trouble with the wiring harness, there's nothing to connect to the coil. I was thinking I take that part from my golf but the ignition chip or whatever that is on top of the ecu housing wont connect into any of the harness connectors, by the way the engine is from a 92 passat.

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

Are you using the FI and IGN system from the '92 Passat? This has 2 knock sensors with a reference(?) sensor to tell the ECM how to retard the spark. Also should have different fuel maps inside of the ECM.

Or are you using the existing 8V systems from the Golf? Which only has 1 knock sensor maybe if a 1988 or newer, with digifant FI which will not easily work, AND the '87 GL does not have the knock sensor IIRC.

Since you say the wiring harness won't fit the ignition module I will ASSuME you are using the Passat systems. I will have to look at my Passat to see if the coil is different than the Golfs. But you should be using the components off the Passat.....i.e. Ign Coil, ECM, etc. and everything should plug in.

So Correct me if my thinking is wrong!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Well yea but there's no plugs so I can plug in the coil, and im pretty sure the 16v coil and 8v are the same, not 100 but im pretty sure. Wouldnt the wiring for the coil come from the ecm? But there's no plug on my harness that will plug into the ecm on my golf, unless it's also different.

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

Wait, the ecm is the little module ontop of the ecu housing right?

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

The car is a 92 if that helps, also what I don't understand is where I plug the wiring harness to on the back of the fuse panel. i know that I shouldn't have to rewire the entire dash.

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

The Engine Control Module (large black box) The Ignition Module (small palm size device) sits on top of the ECM.

So you are removing the Digifant Fuel Injection and replacing it with the Passat's.

You need a Bentley for both the Golf and the Passat to read the wiring diagrams and merge the systems!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Well then theres no wire for the ignition module, and that goes to the coil, so any ideas?

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

Get a wiring diagram for both cars?

Reply to
Jim Behning

Will do, but I cant till I get paid, i believe I get the idea, the wires that connect to the ignit module connect through a different sizeconnect then those wires go from the wiring harness where they connect to the ignition module then the coil and such?

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

Will do when I get paid, till then I'd like to know if there's a seperate wiring harness connector for the ignition module that then goes to the coil?

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

You ever see this thread on the vortex?

Might be helpful, at least for some contacts.

Reply to
ninjamunky