2000 passat turbo needs timing belt.

hello my daughter in laws car need a timing belt and waterpump. it has 95 k on it and has been maintained well. heres the details 2000 passat gls sedan. 18t engine.
was built in 4/20/2000 so hopefully it has the better tensioner setup than the earlier models. i just started checking the records online for this car and am finding horror storys. can anyone point me to an online manual or place to see any particular procedures when replacing the t belt water pump. i am an experianced mechanic and done t belts etc in other cars, motorcycles ,boats. thanks in advance for any help on this car and advice from owners besides the word sell it before it dies!!!!! she loves dieter {yes the car is named}. TIA matt

I've been poking around Autozone's web site lately for a roommate's Mazda MX-6 but really my recommendation would be getting yourself a Bentley manual;
http://www.rb.com .
GL, TBerk
Here are two excellent procedure writeups:
http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/timingbelt / http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t 7704
TBerk wrote:

i think this internet thing might take off. boy that write up is XATLY what i needed. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! dieter might like it to. now haveing done this operation on other cars it seems kinda complecated is that german engineering or am i just simple? my ford escortalade was easy. pull the bumper off OMG! thanks for the advise and i will be putting the water pump in dieter while im there :} Matt
Clearly that 2000 Passat was built for more space in the interior at the expense of the mechanic.
It looks overwhelming to do the timing belt, and it takes awhile, but it is straightforward. I have done my own 2000 Passat with guidance from those writeups and a Haynes manual.
It is worth replacing all belts, idlers, tensioners, water pump, and thermostat while you are in there.
skidflap wrote:

You can do it then! ;-) You probably only need the pictures from those write-ups since they will probably have better pictures and easier to follow instructions than Bentley or Haynes.
Buy good quality parts and I think that the 2000 Passat engine already has the better tensioner and belt if it has the AUG engine. Not sure if it is the ATW engine so you will need to make sure you have the correct parts before starting this job and update the parts if possible like I did with my AEB engine.
You can either put the radiator in the "Service Position" which means you use some long bolts to allow it to slide forward some. OR you can completely remove it so you have the front of the engine wide open. You will have a lot of room then! Depends if you wish to remove the automatic transmission cooler lines from the radiator or not. ;-)
JMHO
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

how do i tell what engine it is?? whats the diff?
At the front of the block next to the top timing belt cover. It is stamped there. AUG or AYW or AEB etc.
Looking at it from the front it is to the right of the cover.
skidflap wrote:

Look at these pictures of a cylinder head so you can see where and what yours might look like: http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/pts/933442043.html
I think that the AEB engine was dropped in late 1999, but I am not totally sure on this.
--
later,
(One out of many daves)
dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

Good pictures to show the locations of the engine and block codes.
*** Please note that the cylinder head is not out of an USA Passat, so the codes will probably not match the original poster's codes. At least you will know where they are located! ;-)

thanks once again you folks are great!!!!! i havent had such speedy answers anywhere except thumpertalk for my dual sport bike. Matt 1.. Danke! (DAHNK-uh) Thanks! Thank you. 2.. Danke schn!* (DAHNK-uh shoon) Thank you! 3.. Tausend Dank! (TAU-zent DAHNK) A thousand thanks! Thanks very much! 4.. Danke vielmals! (DAHNK-uh FEEL-malls) Many thanks! 5.. Recht schnen Dank! (RECHT shoon-en DAHNK) Many thanks! 6.. Ich danke Ihnen/dir! (eech DAHNK-uh EEH-nun / DEAR) I thank you! 7.. Ich bin (Ihnen/dir) sehr dankbar fr... (eek bin DAHNK-bar fe-ur) I'm very grateful (to you) for... 8.. Haben Sie vielen Dank! (HAH-ben zee FEEL-en DAHNK) Many thanks! 9.. Vielen Dank!** (FEEL-en DAHNK) Many thanks! 10.. Mit tiefer Dankbarkeit! (MITT TEEF-er DAHNK-bar-kite) With deep gratitude!
Here are two Passat specific yahoo groups you can join. snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com
--
later,
dave
On 11/27/2008 09:19 PM, skidflap wrote:

Try Ebay - Elsawin. Full maintenance manuals as used by VW agents ("unofficial" copies).
Seems to me that the tensioner hasn't done too bad to have done 95k miles, and neither has the timing belt, assuming they haven't been replaced already.
I juggle around with figures of 60,000 miles / 4 years for timing belt and water pump change. More miles, less time, or more time less miles, sort of balance.
I also change all associated bearings and tensioners at the same time.