2004 Jetta TDI-Little Heat

Question, I've had VW Diesels for many years, this one, a 2004 Jetta TDI Auto really wont produce much heat in the cab when temperature is down around zero F (-18C) or colder. There is a little heat, and some does eventually comes, but, not what I'd like. My98 Jetta TDI (Standard) produces all kinds of heat. Any ideas? Dealer does not seemed to be too concerned about it.

-- Cheers, Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Wendell

2005 Golf TDI. Same thing. Just very good fuel control.

Howard

Reply to
Howard R Garner

Umm, sorry to tell you but it's normal.

My 99.5 Golf TDI, Automatic doesn't produce much heat below around -15C... there was one day where the windchill made it go to around -40C and When I would come to stops my temp gauge would start to plummet, heat would KIND OF return when I gave it some throttle, but it was a cold 40mins to work that day.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

It's normal. You got to burn fuel to make heat, and the TDI just doesn't use that much fuel to produce heat.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Would a block heater help Charlie out here?

Reply to
Jeff

Helps at initial startup and you will have what little heat there is come on faster.... yes it does help, but not really on those really really cold days - tho it will definately be good for the engine even if it doesn't help you out as much.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Look at, test the coolant glow plug system.

Because the TDI engine is so efficient, it produces little waste heat to be used to heat the cabin. To aid in heating the cabin in low temperatures, three glow plugs are installed in the cooling system. These coolant glow plugs are controlled by two relays found in the engine compartment. the relays are controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM). Bentley 28-b3

Good luck.

JRM

Charlie Wendell wrote:

Reply to
jmcmahon1

Charlie,

You may want to experiment around with putting some cardboard in front of the radiator. If the motor cannot get rid of its heat as efficiently, there's more for the cabin. Just keep an eye on the temp guage.

Still, it will take a loooong time to get warm.

My '97 Jetta TDI keeps me comfortable when it is -5 F. outside, but only after 15+ minutes. Atleast that is how I remember it happening on a roadtrip once; in Texas this never comes up.

Don't Mess With Texas, KL

Reply to
Keith E. Loyd

Do you think his 1998 Jetta TDI was relatively inefficient?

Driving in a lower gear would make the engine less efficient, so could produce more heat.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Thanks guys, I've a block heater .. actually an oil pan heater in the 98 TDI but never use it unless the temp falls to minus 25 F or colder. I starts fine without the heater. I will use it at times for an hour before starting just to warm up the oil a bit, but as it's synthetic, not as concerned about thick oil.

I am thinking about the heater that goes into the coolant line, may do that.

Cardboard .. I have used in other vehicles, it does work.

Re the efficiency of the 98 Jetta TDI,, I get about 58 MPG (Imperial Gallons) or I think about 48 MPG (US Gallons) I has lots of heat .. and within 5 to 10 minutes.

JRM, ..I'll look into the coolant glow plug thing you mentioned.

Tnx again guys

-- Cheers, Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Wendell