4speed to 5speed

I have a junker '86 turbo diesel Jetta with a good 5 speed manual transmission.

I have a nice running '81 non-turbo diesel Rabbit with a 4 speed tranny.

Thinking of putting the 5 speed in the Rabbit on some boring weekend to make it more driveable on the interstate now that the 55mph speed limit is dead.

Can any shed any light on problems associated with this swap?

Thanks!

Reply to
Shotgun

No problems it should be a straight swap! Only thing you may have to do is adjust the tranny linkage when your finished.

Reply to
Craig Williams

Not 100% sure but you might need to swap the shift linkage from a 5-speed A1. I don't think 5-speed linkages between A1s and A2s were the same.

Reply to
Matt B.

Matt B should be correct. You will need to switch over some linkage pieces, and like Craig Williams said you will probably need to adjust linkage too. I have seen the A2 transmissions in the A1 bodys. I think some of the Cabriolets have the A2 transmissions from the factory. Not positive on the CV Joints, but the should be the same and easily doable! Have fun! Oh and BTW can't you put in the whole engine and transmission assembly? later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Reply to
Craig Williams

Thanks for the help everyone. Seems like it'll be a fairly easy swap.

I do want to look at the transmission codes on both transmissions. I understand there was an "E" 4 speed that actually had the same top gear ratio as some of the 5's.

Reply to
Shotgun