82 Rabbit Convertible AT -- Starting Problem...

In the infinite Wisdom of Midas Auto shop, they removed my rattling heat shield over the starter when the did some exhaust work. Yesterday I drove the car to work and now the starter doesn't work.

What I'm looking for is your thoughts on how to troubleshoot this. I'm familiar with the heat soak problem and my car does not have a hot start relay circuit added.

Here's what I know:

1) When you turn the key to the start position, you can hear a relay clicking about once per second. 2) The voltage guage goes down to zero when I do this. 3) I left the car overnight in roughly 55-60 degress weather and it still does not start.

So based on this, where do you think I should start? Where is the fusable link for this circuit -- could that be the culprit?

Thanks for your help on this.

Mike

Reply to
mikedawg