’91 jetta alarm trouble

I bought a 1991 vw jetta few months ago and have had very little trouble with it until the other day when I left my lights on and the battery died. I got a jump start and drove to work, I drove home, no problem . My Wife drove the car to the store and back No problem. Yesterday my wife goes to drive the car to work, and not only will the car not start but an alarm goes off, I didn?t know the car had an alarm when I bought it. The kid I bought it from is away from the country, I don?t have the little remote button to disarm it and even though I have diconnected the actual siren from the alarm so as to stop irritating my nieghbors, I can?t get my car to start and I don?t have a volkswagon dealer nearby. does anyone know how I can bypass the alarm to get my car to start? Thank you

Reply to
EvilElvis

Here in the USA VW never had an alarm for a 91 so dealer wouldn't be much help. Try looking under the dash where the pedals are for a small switch as some had bypass switches.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Yep. Mine has this sort of thing (aftermarket alarm with available valet mode). Put the key in and turn the ignition on (idiot lights light up). Some alarms allow you to put them into valet mode when you turn the key on so it "knows" that you are the driver and have a key. When you find the switch, flip it. You are now in "valet" mode.

Reply to
Matt B.