97 Golf Brake Lights Don't Work!! :(

All my tail lights work except my brake lights, checked the fuse and bulbs... could it be the brake light switch? Where is this located and how do I check if it is ok or not.

Thanks Bojan

Reply to
bzivko

usually on the pedal bar itself or its tie-rod under dashboard.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

Most likely , the brake light switch is located on the brake pedal linkage. Brakes light circuitry usually is always HOT . ( nothing else needs to be 'on' like the ign. switch ) so care must be used when jumping the switch closed with a jumper wire. There is a fuse involed so find out from the owners manual or the drawing / lawout for the fuses on or near fuses and check the fuse first.. If the fuse is good ( with it still out of the circuit ) place a jumper wire across the brake switches two terminals then insert the fuse back into it's proper spot. If the brake lights work , your problem is either the switch or it's adjustment - pull that fuse again and remove that jumper , then replace fuse. If the fuse was bad ( open ) replace it and push the pedal , the lights should come on. There is a chance , though remote , there are other causes, but see how you do with these suggestions.

Reply to
samstone

Ya I just checked it out, any clue on how I could find out if that IS the problem?

Reply to
bzivko

Pull the switch and jumper the wires together.

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

Seems you are not the only one with brake light problems. Copy/ paste this address into a browser. It doesn't include your

1997 golf --, but it does the 1999 golfs.
samstone