A4 Radio into an A2

Hi Everyone..

I got my hands on a radio from a 2002 Jetta (Old Style, Single DIN) and wanted to use it in my 1990 Jetta. I plugged it in using the factory harness in the Jetta now, and it lit up, but I didn't get the prompt to enter the radio code...any idea why this is happening? When I plugged the radio into our Beetle, it worked perfectly....

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Did you try hitting the power button, or buttons like CD/Tape/FM.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Actually, I already have a fairly good radio in the car...I just wanted to have the cool blue and red lighting...lol..

The radio is slated to be installed in my '68 Beetle anyway....

Rob Guenther wrote:

Reply to
Peter Cressman

so... what exactly does it do? does it go into SAFE mode? whatever it does, search vwvortex.

Reply to
Steven Emett Hill

It just lights up...no SAFE mode, nothing

Reply to
Peter Cressman

This reminds me that I have a factory radio @ CD player that I pulled out of my 2000 Jetta so I could put in my stereo and equalizer. I bought the car used and didn't get the radio code, so I put a 9V battery and diode on the SAFE line of the radio when I removed it to preserve its status. It worked. I plugged it back in a little later and it retained its status and station presets, etc. I was thinking of selling the pair on Ebay. (They have to go together, since the battery is wired in on the CD player's power tap from the main radio power connector.) But if anyone here is interested, I'll consider offers. I'll make sure it is still operable before I send it out.

...Sean.

Reply to
Sean