98 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition

Hi Everybody...

Been looking at what's available for vehicles, and I haven't seen much that really catches my fancy...I looked at a '98 WE Jetta...130k, 5-speed, air, sunroof, manual windows...$10,900

Any idea if this is an okay car? I mean, my other option is a red '98 Golf GL or a black '98 Jetta GL...neither of which have a sunroof, and the Golf doesn't have A/C...

In a perfect world, I would find a '97 or '98 Jetta GLX VR6, with low mileage and in good condition....but I don't think that that is going to happen.....

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

It's no different than any 2.0 Jetta. The mileage sounds like a lot though...are youi sure the price is realistic given the mileage?

The A3s are pretty reliable. The only thing I didn't like about them is the interior is pretty plasticky/cheap.

Reply to
Matt B.

Thankfully, I won't be needing to look at this car...I really wasn't thrilled with it...and it had some rust that was a little disturbing. The performance from the 2.0L isn't all that impressive, and I found that the

1.8L in my '90 was much more responsive than that of the '98. The 1.8 Digifant seems to have more low-end torque than the 2.0L....

Anyway, it's a nice car, but to much $$$ and it doesn't have the equipment that I want...I have power windows and locks now, so why would I want to go down a notch, and go $10,000 into debt....

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

I drove a 2.0 (or should I say 2.slow) A3 Jetta automatic and it was a total slug. I attributed it to the slushmatic (hardly the finest transmission out there) and I'm sure the A3s are better with a stick. But I agree on 1.8L A2s...my 1.8L A2 Digifant is great. Maybe a tad slow off the line but it's an awesome freeway cruiser...loves to be humming along at 75mph and has power to spare.

Reply to
Matt B.