Broken VW Polo

Hi,

I'm having a nightmare. I recently bought a 1996 VW Polo 1.0 and it has been losing power since I bought it. It was so bad the other day I had to pull over on the motorway and call the AA. It then wouldn't start as cylinders 3 and 4 had hardly any compression and I got it towed home and taken to a garage. The garage originally said that the engine had probably 'gone' and to buy a new one would cost over a grand. It sounded to me like it had a broken head gasket, but the mechanic said it didn't and he put some oil through it causing lots of smoke from the exhaust and then it appeared to be slightly 'better.' He's now telling me that it could be a piston ring stuck and it needs some 'chemicals' out through it as it might be blocked. He sounds to me as thought he's making it up as he goes along. Any thoughts?

Reply to
debs_orr

The guy may be honest but get a second, even third, opinion.

Reply to
Papa

Cheers. He flushed out the engine and it's ok now, runs much better, but there's some leakage still. Not sure what to do about it.

Reply to
debs_orr