check engine light on? help please

1995 jetta 2.0 engine. check engine light came on but the car still runs fine. maybe an o2 sensor? any help or comments would be appreciated

thanks

Reply to
Porter ent

It could be nothing more than a loose gas cap, or it could be very serious. Check the gas cap, if it is not loose, I suggest having the codes read. The engine computer has stored a code to tell you why the light is on.

Some places will read the codes for you for free and you should be able to buy a tools to read the codes yourself. Ignoring it is foolish in my opinion.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Could be any number of things... but I doubt it would be a loose gas cap since I don't think the 1995 models have LDPs in them.

The problem is it could be any number of things, and based on what info you gave us, there is no way to know. It is like me posting that my belly hurts and asking why? Maybe I ate to many Twix candy bars, or maybe I just read another Leo Lee post... who knows.

Why not purchase yourself a VAG COM and then you can scan the car yourself and post the finding here, then we can help you.

Later.

Reply to
Pencilneck

Wait 2 days....it should turn itself off if there is not a continuing problem. Otherwise, expect $75 to get it read.

Reply to
nospam

Doesn't have a LDP so rule the gas cap issue out!

Reply to
Woodchuck

$75?? are you nuts? Autozone does it for FREE.

Reply to
RobTaylor