EGR VALVE!

Im going to take the photo and show you exactly what I mean.

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

are the hoses that I dont udnerstand as they just ratherdisappear in the diagram

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

OH and yea the way I have it set up right now is those 2 mysterious things connected, is there even supposed to be something connected to the opening of the pump?

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

once you have this page , point and " RIGHT CLICK " at the link"K-Jetronic fuel injection - 8 valve engines" ( in the middleof that page ) and 'save the target as' ( the .pdf file to your desktop ) Then you can open the .pdf file on your desktop with acrobat reader. That's how I did it anyway.

Reply to
samstone

Sorry , I thought you could not open the .pdf file. The output of the pump goes to the input of the accumulator. Exactly as the two ' circled ' parts of the picture you posted. The fuel line is only partially shown in the picture ( both ends are : one in each of the ' circled ' areas. )

Reply to
samstone

I kinda figured you didn't have a multimeter , that's why I wrote the post about using a bulb/socket w/leads. My post from yesterday @ 7:59am. It's a very cheap tool to make but it can used in many places.

Does your battery charger make the main pump run? Make sure you get the positive to the correct connection on the pump. ( see that same post )

Now maybe you can help me , how did you get that .jpg picture from the .pdf file? What are the steps you used to do that? ( you yungens know all this puter stuff )

Reply to
samstone

Oopen the file and look at the desired page, then press 'print screen' (this basically copies every that your computer is viewing) now open microsoft paint and pres ctrl v or go into the edit tab and press paste, and voila!! Now as for that "welfare" multimeter, basically take an old light chop the prong end off and put it up against anything you're testing and if it lights up then obviously there is power going through those wires. but that doesnt help me for testing a relay.

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

Oh print screen (print scr) is located near the backspace key, above the directional keys.

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

Schweet , I have that print scr key but have never used it in 9 years w/this computer. I'll give that a try in the morning. Thank you. Testing a relay out of circuit can be done with a test light . In the case of this relay its switch inside is normally open. a jumper to terminal 30 and one side of the battery , then one lead of the test light to terminal 87 and the other lead of the test light to the other pole of the battery. The lamp wont light till you power up the coil - a jumper from one side of the battery to terminal 15 then another jumper wire from terminal 31 to the other pole of the battery and the lamp will light up if the relay is good. Even if you had a meter you would have to power the coil to check for a closed circuit across terminals 30 , 87 .

Reply to
samstone

No , I'm talking about a 12v lamp and its socket from a junker car with a couple feet of wire attached to the socket. ( like a reverse light from a junked car) . Putting a bulb against a wire does nothing except if that bulb is a neon bulb and the wire is high voltage, like a spark plug wire. Do you have a junk yard near you where you can go in and pull parts from junkers? A golf near your year would be ideal so you could get a fuel relay , a lamp/socket with wire leads , and both pump plugs ( the female connector that plugs into the pumps with six inches of its wire ) . The pump plugs can be used to test your pumps with your battery charger. It makes it easy and helps to insure you don't short out things when testing the pumps. Also you can inspect things like how that accumulator is hooked-up. When I had to remove the dash cluster from my car to replace dash lights, I went to a junk yard first and removed a cluster on a junker so when I did it to my car I didn't break anything.

Reply to
samstone

All this seems rather extreme, but luckily my freind has a multimeter, and my other freind owns his own scrap yard, so I have access to mk2 parts for dirt cheap. thanks for the help though. When I hooked the battery charger up to the pump it started leaking out of the accumulator. The hose seemed a bit loose so I tightened the hose, but havent tried again. maybe I have the hoses backwards but as one of you said the filter is hooked up to the middle socket. ALSO should I hear pump noise when I turn the acc on? Because I only hear it when I try to turn the car over. It buzzes for about a second after I stop turning the key.

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

Checking a relay the way I described is better than an meter because you are putting a load across the internal switch, it's only one more jumper wire. The pumps should run for a two seconds when you turn the key to the ( run/on ) position with out turning the key to engage the starter position. I don't think they run in the acc. position. I played around with the 'prt scr' and using 'ctrl v ' command was able to get the page to open in ms paint. I've always used a image program program that came with my first digital camera so I'm not at all familiar with the paint and will need to do some reading on it. Thanks

Reply to
samstone

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 16:18:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: Doctor Dave , is it possible the pumps on this golf are only running in the start position on the key and when its released to the run position the pumps don't run yet the car ( runs?) on accumulator pressure for a short period?

Reply to
samstone

I got the pump pumping I need to solder the little connector joints where the wire terminal connect to the pump. But Im pretty sure its hooked up properly, the car is about 180degrees off time but its backfiring, so that means its getting some gas. the lines go under load when the pump runs so I guess its giving out good ammounts of pressure. I had to double hose clamp the gas line on because the first time I got a gasoline shower, gotta love getting down and dirty.

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

With this Golf...anything is possible samstone! lol

It does sound like progress IS being made! Hang on in there tlcb! Backfiring sounds like the engine will run again and you are close. ;-)

Also sounds like you are hav>> On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 16:18:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: >>

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

For the past 3 weeks I have heard nothing but " TAKE THAT THING TO THE SCRAP" but no sirry am I giving up, this summer I want to rebuild the engine with my mechanic freind, wel in some new sheet metal in some areas, and such and such. Yea it does sound like I am getting close, Im having a *bitch* of time getting the motor on time, the cam pulley has more timing marks then I dont even know actually, its almost as if the guy was trying to do his home work on the damn thing. anyways Tomorrow I will do the timing, the thing that really got me though is how the mechanic hooked up the pump, no accumulator, and just an open valve on the pump itself rendering the pump nothign but useless. And he wondered why the thing refused to stay running properly.

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

any help here with the mech. timing marks?

Reply to
samstone

Woofa! I opened my valve cover before and thought my motor was basically screwed (driven to crap) because there was no bearing cap on #4. Feeling of relief.

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

what about a fuel filter? The one that the guy installed is tiny, atleast 1/8th the size of the bosch filter. You think this could be causing some problems? and also there is a hole drilled in the fuel dist, not actually in it but the huge metal plate that sits ontop of the airbox. My freind said that the engine is probably getting too much air. Also what abotu the vaccum advance that goes to the distrubitor, is this needed, because I dont have one. The line is jsut plugged there.

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

The hole is supposed to have an aluminum plug inserted in it. The older cars had a rubber plug so you could adjust a mixture screw inside there. If someone removed the plug then someone was messing with something that should not have been messed with. The newer cars adjust their mixture with the feedback loop of the oxygen sensor. Refer to your Bentley for the proper basic setting for that adjustment for your car.

Define tiny in inches or millimeters. My 84 had a smaller fuel filter than what it could take. Smaller was maybe an inch smaller in diameter but the filter was still about 3 inches in diameter.

Look >>> >>

Reply to
Jim Behning