Passat-1.8T-2003-Valve Cover Leak

Took my car in for annual required safety inspection.

Advised shop that I smelled something like hot oil after driving awhile.

Mechanic said smell came from leaking valve cover.

Recommend that leak be fixed when I either was tired of it or when oil started to be noticeable under the parked car.

Said fix was cheap.

Mechanic is very experienced, skilled, and trusted. Great reputation. Mostly works on race, antiques, exotics, and high-end cars. Audis, and Volvos are the usual low-end of his trade. At the high-end are Ferraris, Lamborghini, Maserati, Lotus, etc. with Mercedes and Porsche in the middle. Wouldn't ask except he isn't a VW mechanic.

Does the advice sound right?

Reply to
Rocco

Its just a rubber gasket, less than an hour to fix, get it replaced. Its never a great idea to have oil spraying around the engine bay - especially not one with a red hot Turbocharger in it!

Reply to
Iain Miller

ion. =A0Mostly works on race, antiques, exotics, and high-end

Did you get this work done? Did smell of burning oil go away? I went through same situation, but led to 1400 dollars to get cam seals timing chain, water pump and valve cover.. again replaced.

jj

Reply to
bridgeport37