Passat Rotors

We take my wife's Passat to the local VW dealership for service, and they claim that whenever they replace the brake pads they have to replace the rotors too (NB: there is no wa-wa-wa to imply any warping or other problems), and also that in any case the rotors can't be turned and always have to be replaced. Both claims sound bogus to me, but I thought I'd get the opinion of the group since I have zero experience with VWs (maybe there's some funky German engineering going on?).

Reply to
zero529

Volkswagen usually uses solid granulated lining bonded to a metal backing plate for their brake pads. The friction materials are made of ceramic compounds and copper or bronze fibers instead of the typical steel fibers. This kind of composition is convenient as it can manage higher temperatures with less heat fade, allowing the pads to recover quickly after a stop, not to mention it lowers the amounts of dust and wear. These metallic pads will last longer, but they are more abrasive to the brake rotors, which is why the rotors usually have to be replaced during a brake service. Some brake pads are made with non-metallic, organic resins and fillers which wear quicker, but are less abrasive to the rotors.

Reply to
Madesio

rotor maybe worn under size, pitted, flaking, or worn uneven due to normal pad wear. How many miles on your present rotors. Also you haven't said if it's the front or rear rotors or what year the car is?

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Just have your old parts returned to you so you can measure the thickness of the rotors. ;-) I would not want to worry about brakes again for another 30-40,000 miles or longer.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
none2u