VR6 Coolant Pipe Removal Help?!

The nipple blew off to the oil cooler this morning and had to have a tow. Have the coolant pipe waiting for me a the dealer - now - how to remove the pipe. Yes I have a Bentley and its not really helpful - is it necessary to remove the bumper/radiator assembly to get at it or can it be done another way? Know I have to remove the t-stat bolts and remove the oil cooler hoses. Once the bolts and housing are loosened can it slid out sideways from the water pump?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
stim141

I think it partially depends on which VW you have this engine in and how much room you have to work with.

Reply to
One out of many daves
1995 GTI VR6

Thought it was going to be tough so I started removing the front clip - did it before - only took about 10 minutes to get all the bolts out and the electricals unclipped. Now I just have to remember if I have to drop the compressor with the lines connected to swing the radiator out of the way - which I hope I don't have to do. Not a big deal just some extra time - just don't want to crimp the lines. More than likely I think if I just move the radiator a foot back it'll do the trick. I just want some extra room to work, esp when its getting a bit cold in my garage. This is going to be the second pipe at 145K - the dealer covered the first at 90K. Hopefully nothing was damaged when I drove the car for about 10 minutes after the blinking coolant light started flashing - no movement in the gauge - so I hope I didn't warp the block.

Reply to
stim141

engine should be fine that light will start blinking since you were losing coolant and the sensor in the bottle would set off the light.

Reply to
One out of many daves