VW Golf won't start after installing new battery. Anti theft problem.

I have a 1997 Volkswagen Golf where I replaced a battery and now the car doesn't want to start because of the anti-theft feature prevents it from starting. I took it the car to a local Volkswagen dealer. The service department said I needed to enter a code to reprogram the car so it would start. However they did not have the code available. They gave me two options. I could have them find the code which would take about 2 hours or I could contact the dealer where the car was originally bought. The problem is I am not the original owner of the car and I'm not sure of what dealer originally sold the car to the original owner. My question is it possible to disable the anti-theft equipment other than paying some dealer doing two hours work? I don't have a owners manual or anything other documents that came with the car.

Reply to
billyv1988

is it a factory alarm?

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

I don't recall 1997 year Golf's having a re-programmable code for the security system. The factory security system module is located behind the dash, and yes it can be easily bypassed by running a jumper wire over the heavier gauge red and red/black wires. A few ideas as to why your car doesn't start come to mind providing you have a no crank no start situation.

Perhaps the battery is defective and/or the cables terminals loose or corroded.

Your starter itself could be the culprit.

Verify the security system itself is de-activated by unlocking through the other doors, even the rear hatch.

Could also be a coincidental problem with anything else that effects starting including the ignition switch itself.

Reply to
Madesio

As soon as I put the battery in, the lights started flashing and the horn honking.

I think it was a factory equiped security system. I live in a rural area where car thefts are rare. Especially common bread and butter brands.

Reply to
billyv1988

In my 95, I just put the key into the driver's door and turn to unlock.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Yes this is what usually happens. You simply need to unlock one of your doors using the key to disable the factory security system.

Reply to
Madesio

That works as long as coincidentally the wires to the doors haven't gone bad. I once had to open & close the rear doors 5 or 6 times to get the internally broken wires rearranged so that the car would start. The harness got replaced that weekend.

BTW, those wires from the B-pillar to the rear doors seem to be the most prone to breaking. You can pull the hose away from the pillar and examine the wires. Broken wires, well, are obvious. Any kinks or 'thin' or stretched portions are to be suspected. Sometimes you have to feel the wires to tell there's a problem. Usually an electrical check is not needed to find the bad wires. Repairing wires or replacing the harness depends on where the wires are damaged and how many are damaged.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol