warranty/VW Customer Care

Good luck with your new brand X car :)

Reply to
draugaz

Call the VWOA number in the back of you owner's manual. Your dealer is taking advantage of you. And you may want to talk to an attorney about a possible Lemon Law claim.

Reply to
C_S

My name is Ajay Patel, I am a MECHANICAL ENGINEER (which i mention because legally i can account for part failure in front of a judge!), and I bought a 2006 VW TDI in August '05. With 12,120 miles I had the same problem as many of you complained about...MY CLUTCH FROZE TO THE FLOOR AS I WAS DRIVING! VW said it was my error, and I disagreed...as i know an instantaneous failure of any mechanical system is due to a part malfunction!

Ok, ok...so whats my point! I took the car to a third party mechanic and my insurance company came to inspect the damage. Bottom line is that a tooth in the pressure plate FAILED and DESTROYED the inside of the clutch area!!! THIS IS 100% WARRANTY COVERED DAMAGE! I have a feeling ALL OF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING THIS!

I presented this evidence to my dealers GM. HE AGREED THAT IT SHOULD BE WARRANTY. He too is sick of VW and its treatment, even to him! However, VWOA still insists that the part is not covered under warranty!

Please, we need to get together. If we garner enough support, we can go after VW, TOGETHER! There are LOTS of consumer advocate groups, and even the BBB to work with!

Go to these sites, and begin lodging complaints:

I would like for everyone to EMAIL me their story, and contact info @ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. I am gathering support to do this. I will not let this go! Please, lets not allow ourselve to get defrauded any longer!

I thank you so much for your time! We will get what is ours, and we wont allow this company to play us as fools...ANYMORE!

Reply to
DrivinAjay

If you are proposing a class-action law suit, you will not win. The lawyers will, no matter what decision the courts make.

Reply to
Papa

all we need are numbers..no lawyers are needed! the lemon laws provide for many conditions, and i forgot to mention that the GM of my dealer also admitted that VW acknowledges this as a problem! however, they wont do anything about it! PLEASE...it cant hurt to relay your story to me...every bit helps! we can do this! If these consumer groups see a large number of people hopping on board, we will be supported!

Reply to
DrivinAjay

My name is Ajay Patel, I am a MECHANICAL ENGINEER (which i mention because legally i can account for part failure in front of a judge!), and I bought a 2006 VW TDI in August '05. With 12,120 miles I had the same problem as many of you complained about...MY CLUTCH FROZE TO THE FLOOR AS I WAS DRIVING! VW said it was my error, and I disagreed...as i know an instantaneous failure of any mechanical system is due to a part malfunction!

Ok, ok...so whats my point! I took the car to a third party mechanic and my insurance company came to inspect the damage. Bottom line is that a tooth in the pressure plate FAILED and DESTROYED the inside of the clutch area!!! THIS IS 100% WARRANTY COVERED DAMAGE! I have a feeling ALL OF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING THIS!

I presented this evidence to my dealers GM. HE AGREED THAT IT SHOULD BE WARRANTY. They even told him this is something that is common, VW knows about it! He too is sick of VW and its treatment, even to him! However, VWOA still insists that the part is not covered under warranty!

Please, we need to get together. If we garner enough support, we can go after VW, TOGETHER! There are LOTS of consumer advocate groups, and even the BBB to work with!

Go to these sites, and begin lodging complaints:

I would like for everyone to EMAIL me their story, and contact info @ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. I am gathering support to do this. I will not let this go! Please, lets not allow ourselve to get defrauded any longer!

I thank you so much for your time! We will get what is ours, and we wont allow this company to play us as fools...ANYMORE!

Reply to
DrivinAjay

Big deal. I have had cases where I testified as an expert witness go before a State Supreme Court and lost. Being considered an expert witness does not mean you will win or even that you are right.

I would disagree with you.

While there may well be good cause to address a problem here, I am not sure this would be the best approach. I suggest that you first contact an attorney who can give you the legal advice which appears to be in short supply and develop a plan.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I have a 2002 Jetta and I had it in the shop many times. The brake light switch was a big thing that kept failing. The ended up being recalled and I took it to a dealer and that part failed. However the dealership put a recalled part on to replace the recalled part. All my warranties were out and I made a stink about it. Well someone I work with her father is a mechanic at another VW dealership. So I took it there and they were the ones who told me it was the recalled part on there. So that ended getting fixed again for free. At first I was told by VW customer service that they would not help me because I had a little over 60,000 miles. That was before I was told it wasn't even done right in the first place. The lady at VW had to hear me call VW a few choice words and I told her I was disappointed in VW and would never purchase another VW. Well, then come to find it was the dealer's fault. So I filed a complaint with VW. The next I was getting calls from 2 different managers at the dealership. I did not speak to them as I should have but my car was fixed. I wanted to be done with it. I also had other issues with the windows. I had to have both of them replaced. My catalytic converter also had to be replaced shortly after

60,000 miles. Thankfully that was still under warranty. I have about 73,000 miles now and just had the water pump replaced 2 or 3 weeks ago along with the thermometer. Oh I almost forgot that dealership that replaced a recalled part with a recalled part also screwed something else up. About a year after I had the 02 Jetta the engine light came on. I had it at that dealership at least 5 times to check it and they couldn't tell me what was wrong. So the other dealership was the one who finally figured out what was wrong, it was the coolant temperature sensor. I didn't have my warranty anymore because I had over 50,000 miles. Since I had taken it in when I did have the warranty that was replaced free of charge also. It has always been my dream to have a VW because I have always loved them. However I am really disappointed really in the level of quality in the mechanical parts of the car. If I was to get another car would it be another VW? Most likely no.
Reply to
jettaboistl

Reply to
Peter Parker

Maybe he should talk to "Customer Service" and use a coupon to get it for free like in the Grocery store. LOL!!!

BTW, I totally agree with you on the expert witness gig. Both sides have expert witnesses and it's the side that has more money and "CSI" techniques that make it happen. Honesty and ethics do not usually win.

I agree to disagree but he does have a point and that the first 12120 miles could have been a beginner manual driver that really abused the car and this could have sparked the problem.

No.... This sounds like operational abuse. See above.

He agreed only knowing that VWOA is not going to cover such damage.

Time to trade it in and get a used Honda or Toyota. I say used because new would not be aligned with your way of thinking unless you have a coupon. :)

Joe, again you are making the right decision. However, If it was me, I would have just had the clutch assy replaced, knowing that I have a new one and that I would be responsible with the vehicle. It's just not worth my time to mess with this legal system for something like this.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Are you a licensed by a state as a professional engineer? If not, then no lawyer worth squat would even let you introduce *ANY* expert testimony. Even if you are, they will likely question your credibility as you may be somewhat... biased.

You can't be serious? While I don't dispute that it may well be a problem with a part or the design of the car, there's no way anyone can say with a straight face that ALL instanteous failures are caused by bad parts and not driver error. Want an example? Let's say you are going down a hill, and push the clutch in, and then shift into first gear. Even without the clutch engaged, the transmission will still be spinning at astronomically high speeds and could easily damage something very quickly. I'm not saying thats what happened, just disputing your claim that "ALL instaneous failures are caused by bad parts". If you got up on a stand and made a claim like that your credibility would be completely shot.

What does your insurance company have to do with this? They don't insure cars against mechanical failure.

By tooth I presume you mean spring. I can't really see why if it let go it would completely destroy the inside of the clutch area. Presumably, because of the centripetal accelleration it would go shooting out into the casing and then just drop down. You'd probably want to replace everything while you're in there anyway.

Okay, if its 100% warranty covered, why worry? This is the first I've heard of the problem (of course I don't have a 2006 VW)

I don't really understand this. When you have a problem with a car that is under warranty, you go to a dealer. The dealer makes a determination if its under warranty and then proceeds to do the work and bill Volkswagen for it. They are typically biased against doing the work, because VW pays them less than you would for the same job. However, if they approved the work, it should be done. End of story. You would appeal to VW if the dealership refused to do warranty work you felt was justified.

I'm rather sure that for the most part "Lemon Laws" are a state thing. Further, even if there was a manufacturing defect that caused many vehicles to be built with bad pressure plates, that wouldn't qualify the vehicle as a lemon by most state "lemon law" definitions. Trust me on this one, if every manual transmission equipped 2006 vehicle suffers clutch failures every 12k miles the problem will get taken care of by itself in short order.

As others have mentioned class action lawsuits will only get your lawyers rich, at best you will just get your car repaired for free after investing ungodly numbers of hours into it.

If I were you I'd thoroughly document the part that failed and get others to do so and then approach a VW representative with your information. Explain that all you want is for them to pay to have a properly manufactured clutch installed in the car. Your problem is that the clutch is a wear item and is potentially subject to a *HUGE* amount of abuse and so VW has every right to be very learly of claims by you that its a design or manufacturing defect and you need to prove to them that it was not user error.

Reply to
blah

Yeah...like the way they took care of that window regulator problem in "short order"...and that coil pack problem without anyone having to fight or complain or write big, embarrassing, image crushing articles in the New York Times to light a fire under their collective asses...oh wait...nevermind.

The original story may be a bit melodramatic, but your response make you sound like some corporate talking head.

I have owned a lot of cars, and remain a loyal VW fan, but they have tried to give owners the shaft many times. I had a clutch fail on an 02 jetta after just over 20,000 miles and they tried to do the wear and tear dance with me as well until I pointed out THEY serviced a couple of my cars that had run over 200,000 miles on the original clutch. When I fell victim to recurring problem with catalytic converters falling apart on the inside they tried to blame a failure at 12,000 miles on the fact I leave close to the ocean (about 7 miles!!). I am still wondering how that salt air got inside the catalytic converter but left the rest of the exhaust intact!

When VW built more bulletproof cars way back when it didn't matter that their dealer network was as responsive as roadkill, but now that they have more and more issues, the fact they handle their customers rather poorly will leave them fighting for air at the bottom of the barrel.

It is too bad.

Reply to
Tony Bad

But, he is a MECHANICAL ENGINEER. You sound intelligent and reasonable, but my money is on the MECHANICAL ENGINEER every time. He has been FRAUDED!!!! You have to understand, a MECHANICAL ENGINEER who has been FRAUDED is smarter than you. Can't spell better than you, or assemble coherent sentences, or say which university he got his degree from, or explain how mechanical engineering is in any way relevant to the analysis of clutch failures, or a lot of other stuff -- but, by God, he's a MECHANICAL ENGINEER!!!!

Reply to
Brian Running

No one can argue that VWs , are incredibly inconsistent. And they made older cars more bulletproof. Some people get gems. Some people get lemons that VW trys to put off as the owners fault. A lot of people think they know how to use a clutch, but really don't. Its clear some VW parts fail due to QC issues, And VW clearly considers clutches and any other wear item warranted until the VW crosses the dealer sidewalk. If it was faulty or not. Plenty of people are paying for faulty parts, because VW fights hard to not pay for their QC issues. That's their history and track record. I believe every part VW used during production has at least one defective parts somewhere during the production runs. And plenty have more. My opinion is that if the clutch pads are nor worn or burnt at all. The flywheel isn't burnt or warped from heat. and the metal or springs,itself failed at 12,000 miles. Its defective. Its probably bad steel, or heat treating from their supplier. If anything's burnt or warped or blue. or the clutch pads are shot. It was the previous owner. However if I bought a used VW with 12000 miles on it, I am immediately suspect that its got issues , and that's why it got sold with

Reply to
none2u