When will TDI be available in new "Rabbit"

The VW North America web site lists the 2.5 as the only available engine in the new Golf, again called Rabbit in the US like the A1 Golf. Does anyone know when this car will be available with the TDI?

TIA

Reply to
Kit

none2u

There won't be any TDIs in 2007. But in 2008, VW brings all the diesels back with new common rail diesel technology.

Reply to
Bryan K. Walton

Reply to
none2u

Most manufacturers are waiting until the US cleans out the high-sulfer content diesel from the distribution network before introducing the low-sulfer diesel cars. (2007 or 2008)

Reply to
Don Mac Phee

Actually, until the US cleans out the low sulphur diesel before introducing the ultra-low sulphur diesel...

:^)

Reply to
Ken Finney

Does

The switch so ULSD is already started, June as I recall. It's supposed to be completed in October. 2007 US diesels require it. VW is making 2006 diesels for the US up till Dec 31 to stockpile diesels till they bring their new 2008 engines out. Specs are current LSD less then 500 PPM and the new ULSD less then 15 PPM. All pumps now must be labels as to what they have.

VW is slightly behind as they mostly still use the "PD" pump diesel technology and as mentioned they'll need the CRD, common rail diesel. The Torreg (sp?) V10 tdi is a crd engine as is my 06 jeep liberty CRD :=)

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Unfortunately, they did this for the Jetta (and New Beetle?) but didn't bother to do this for the new Mk5 Golf/Rabbit for the US :(

Reply to
Matt B.

Matt

A few months back I read that VW of Brazil was going to stop making Golfs for export because they were not making enough money on them. So I would guess that the Mexican plant will be building them. By the way they are going to be "Rabbits" again!

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

it's that and/or the new Mk5 is out now and the plant in brazil would have to be retooled for them anyway but perhaps they decided not to, or at least not yet, so that's why they're (the Mk5) is coming from Germany (for now anyway).

For now our Mk5s are coming from Germany.

Yep...already are here badged as that.

Reply to
Matt B.