1996 Chevy S-10 Air Condition Question

My S-10 became a little warm a few months ago so I took it to a shop that charged the system at my request and added about 1 lb of R134a and some dye.

It was good and cool for about two months then went again. I took it back and they tested it and said the compressor had a leak and needed replaced. The compressor, accunulator, and orifice valve were to be replaced for 900+.

At the suggestion of a sometime mechanic friend I charged the system with a retrofit kit to the proper reading and it was good and cold for about 48 hours then went south again. There is some type of oil around the compressor so I assume its blowing out there.

I am willing to replace the compressor myself as it looks like there is only two bolts holding it on but I must first get the serpentine belt off and I do see the idler pulley but am not real sure how it works. It has a bolt on the front of it: Does it loosen to allow the pulley to pivot or is the bolt tight when you move the pulley?

Second: I can't find the orifice valve and do know that it is very small and necessary to have a new one. I intend to take the auto to an air shop after installing all the parts for evacuation, leakage testing, and recharging.

Sorry for the long message but this repair does look doable and after shelling out 1100 for a new clutch a few months ago I thought I would give it a whirl. Thanks again ...

Reply to
Bob J

Rebuilt Compressor= 200 to 250 dollars Accumulator =about 50 bucks or so. Orifice tube= 5.00 bucks

Total about 300.00 dollars or so..

Just use a pry bar to pull the tensioner pulley up and pull the belt off at the alternator.

Orifice valve is located inside the aluminum tube that goes from the condenser to the evaporator. Should have some (4) indentations in the line where the tube is.

Make sure you install a new accumulator. These systems are VERY susceptible to moisture damage if you dont do this.

Reply to
Hardpan

Thanks guys for the quick replies:

I've looked high and low for the orifice and darn if I see it. I look into the engine compartment from front to aft and on the left side is the larger line with low side charge point and a smaller line. Is the location down lower in the compartment perhaps?

The compressor is top right of course and the accumulator is right close to it so they are no big problem as I'm sure the orifice is if only I can pinpoint it.

DOC - I even bought a Haynes repair book for S-10 several weeks ago but it does not have any pictures of what I need. I went to the library yesterday and looked thru a few Chilton Truck Auto Repair manuals and they had everything in them except air conditioning repair ... heh!

It appears that the auto industry wants to make sure that non-mechanics (and I mean those that don't do it for a living) have to hire out their work.

My mech work is generally average to the strong side of average.

Reply to
Bob J

The orifrice tube should be inside the smaller of the two lines that goes into the firewall.

Its usually at the junction point half way between the condenser in the front of the truck and the inlet into the cab through the firewall going into your evaporator, inside the passenger compartment.

Its not very big so its easy to not notice it.

Bingo !

The days of shadetree mechanics was looking grim for awhile.

Its somewhat better now that R134a is available over the counter, like R12 was.

Reply to
Hardpan