305 stroker?

I recently was given-- yes, outright given... free as in beer-- a 1989 305 V8.
I know the first thing everyone is going to say-- "get rid of it, get a
350" Well unless one of you want to trade a perfectly good 350 for a perfectly good 305, keep it to yourself. ;)
I know the motor runs well-- it came out of a 1989 F-Body. The owner of that vehicle-- a good friend- got the itch for more power and bought a crate 383 to put in it. <Yes, this is the way I'd go, too-- but I don't have the 2 large to buy one>.
I'm going to be putting this 305 into my 1989 S-10 Blazer <4X4, 4.3LV6 at present, built 700R4, rebuild NP231C> after I do my solid front axle swap. I know how to build a stroker 350- but was wondering about the same for a 305. Does it use the same parts? I don't know the difference between the blocks for a 305 and 350.
Also-- any tips for making power with this motor? I seem to recall Gary a while back saying that there are some preferred heads and cams to use. I'll be using the TBI system from the 4.3 with proper injectors to feed a V8, the Calpac and PROM for a 305 with auto trans, and all the EFI goodies along with it-- so yes I have a bit of wiring to do <harness modifications, mostly centering around lengthening wires- NOT a problem no matter how in depth the electrics get-- let's just say I know my way around electronics and solder, and leave it at that ;) >.
I'm mainly looking for torque out of this thing-- I really don't see a need for more than 250 HP at the flywheel, and even that is very possibly excessive. The vehicle will be a daily driver which will also see use now and again as a trail riding vehicle. If it comes to rockcrawling I will be using my 1990 Jeep XJ which has 7" lift, etc, etc. About the hardest task to which I will put the Blazer will be flat towing the XJ to the trailhead several hundred miles away <yes, I will have upgraded and functional brakes on both vehicles, etc, etc-- I know how to flat-tow properly>.
Inline.................................

Mmmmmmmm, beer.........tasty.............................

Hell, I'm perfectly content with my 305 in a FS truck; should be plenty in an S-series.........................

Never heard of a 350 stroker? Basically when you stroke a 350 and bore it .030 over, you get a 383. The 305 and 350 blocks are different, so 350 guts won't work in a 305. I recall someone making a stroker kit for the 305..............got the displacement up to 327 or so, but can't remember where I saw it or how much it was.

The OE heads are garbage, as is the intake. Edelbrock makes a Performer RPM head and TBI intake for the 305 which would do it oodles of good, but to the tune of $1500 or so....................at the point might as well <dare I say it> grab a 350!

Eddy Performer RPM intake manifold, headers and high-flow mufflers would be the cheapest route to some easy torque gains. Heads would do it some more good, but then yer' getting up in price. If you run 89 octane and advance the timing to 4*BTDC or so she'll be much happier.
Gotta run, leaving for vacation!
A 350 bored .030 over is a 355. A 350 with a 3.75(400) crank is a 377. A 350 with .030 over and a 3.75(400) crank is a 383.

BTW-- the motor has an Edelbrock Torquer II intake manifold on it. I already found the $40 plate from Trans-dapt to bolt my stock TBI unit on it <4.3 and V8 TBI motors both use the same TBI unit-- it's just the injectors that are different>. Was talking to a friend about this before I got off work, and he suggested replacing the seals that I can get to <RMS, front crank pulley, etc>, installing a set of 1.6:1 ratio rockers, and putting it in the vehicle. I think this is probably the best plan I've heard so far-- the 1.6 rockers giving it "more cam" on the cheap <about $50 for all of them>.
Does this make sense to anyone else?
well, does it? :P
Remeber....."If you have to ask you can't do it."

I don't HAVE to ask- but I don't mind asking folks who may have been there, done that, prior. ;)
I understand, I still had to give you a rough time though.

:) not a bother!!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

    There is a stroker kit for 305's. I saw the add in the back of last months Hot Rod Magizine. Personially I would leave the bore and store as they are.
    If you want to spend some money, Cam, Intake, Heads & Valve train items. As well as a remanufactored TBI Distributor, as the shafts due need changed in them when the magnets go bad.
    Your Going to need a 4x4 S-10 V8 Oil Pan, V8 Conversion Motor Mounts, and Headman V8 S-10 Headers. I also suggest a 28 inch 70-72 Chevelle "4 bolt top plate" style radiator. You do have to fab your own mounts for it in a S-10, but that's simple.
    Use the 4.3's Serpentine Belt Drive, Retain the 4.3's remote oil filter adapter, you can get by with the 4.3 ECM but I would buy a salvage yard 305 ECM.
    Other then a few 4x4 S-10 only items, dropping a small block in one is esay. Charles
Will not need a S-10 V8 oil pan. <Assume you're talking abou thte JTR part>. I'm going to be swapping in a solid front axle, remember? Thus, the front chunk is NOT an issue, and a stock V8 oil pan will work.
I have a brand new stock 3-row radiator, and am running the trans in an entirely seperate cooler-- the stock rad should be WAY more than sufficient in this case. Plus, I am changing to an electric fan this weekend.
V8 conversion motor mounts shouldn't be a huge deal. I've seen folks use the stock 4.3 mounts. At any rate-- this is an academic point as I am fully capable of fabicating my own mounts/adapters. I appreciate your looking out for me there, though...
Headers-- seen lots of folks use <going from memory, so subject to being wrong> ram-horn manifolds.
Guess what-- the TBI 4.3 and 305/350 ECM are the SAME computer. 1227747. Only difference is the calpak and the PROM.
Am planning to do away with the remote oil filter altogether. See above re: kicking the IFS front chunk out.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

    If you Remove the IFS Craddle, It does change the need for some items. Including the need for Headers on a 4x4.
    I get my Conversion Mounts from a local guy. He works at a Machine shop and makes the plates. Then bolts a set of 70's SBC motor mounts on them (very simmular to 4.3 mounts). I usually trade him car parts for the mounts. He does 2WD Conversions and uses Car Manifolds from 78 to 85 Caprice Classics.
    The more Fabrication a person can do properly, the less they need to purchase to do a V8 Swap in a S-Truck. Charles
Install the 305 in the S-10 and drive it! You might get about the same MPG of the 262(4.3L)! I suggest getting the TBI setup WITH computer and harness for the 305 and install that so you retain the fuel injection and drivability.

computer and harness are the same-- no need to change as long as I don't go to something other than TBI.
Yes, I realize they have differnt part numbers for the harness for each vehicle- but given a 4.3 powered S10 <89 model< and a 305 TBI powered <89 model> vehicle that use a 1227747 ECU, the harness is functionally the same- only difference being the lengh of wires. If a wire is too short in the stock harness in my S10 I am full ycapable of extending it with a little solder and heat shrink.
On 18 Aug 2005 04:09:33 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

I made such an engine once. 305 block bored +0.030" Crank from a 400SB with 0.200" turned from the main journals to fit 305/350 bearings 305 pistons (low compression for stock stroke but higher for 3.750" stroke rods, flex plate, harmonic balancer from 400SB and rotating assembly had to be balanced at the same machine shop that did the crank journals Heads with 195/160 valves (be conservative on the intake size as the valves risk contact with the cylinder walls. cam for towing/torque .420lift stock quad carb/manifold headers and dual exhausts (above info is retrieved from my old and flawed memory)
I can tell you that this engine was slightly easier on gas than a 350 and when you stomped on it there was plenty of snot The downside is that this engine is REAL expensive for what you get. This is a 334 engine and is actually MORE expensive to make than a 383.
You can make a powerful 355 for a whole lot less money and be very happy.
--
Regards
Gordie
"burntkat" wrote:

1989
get
also
The "easest" way to stroke a 305 would be to use a 400 SB crank and rods. It will drop in but you may need to check bore bottoms for rod clearance. It would give you about a 331 V8.
Thanks, Sno-
I think I'm just gonna freshen this up a bit-- replace the seals I can get to, beat the oil pan back into shape <it's been stored not too gracefully> and weld a skidplate on the bottom of it whilst it's out, and put 'er in. All this on the Doc's viewpoint on the motor in my truck. I honestly think it'll do me just fine. While I can get a 350 for $800 and use this as a core, I know this motor is in fine shape, it's free, and i just can't see letting it go to waste.
Many thanks to all!