'88 K1500 Oil pressure Gauge not working

Could someone give me an idea as to why my oil pressure gauge appears to be pegged out all of the time. And how to possibly test it.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
<xxxxx

Try unplugging it at the sending unit. H

Reply to
Hairy

"Pegged" is what they do when the circuit to the sender is open.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Ok....didn't know that. H

Reply to
Hairy

the wire is GROUNDED !

climb under and follow the wire!

it may have just fallen off!

if not , replace the sending unit!, less than $20.00

karl

Reply to
Karl Rosell

they peg if grounded!

they are dead if no current!

Reply to
Karl Rosell

The above two conditions contradict each other...

Reply to
Neil Nelson

How?

If it has fallen off and contacted ground, which is a scenario he describes.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Meaning that the needle goes to maximum...

From Mitchell On Demand;

"Sending unit specs:" Engine off (no pressure) 1 ohm Engine running (pressure) 44 ohms

Reply to
Neil Nelson

That's the way it works.

If the sender circuit were grounded, the needle would be at zero, not "pegged."

Nope, low resistance = low gauge reading, high resistance = high gauge reading. An open circuit on the sender side of the gauge circuit results in the gauge being pegged.

Look up the specs for the sender... O PSI = 1 ohm Running PSI = 44 ohms.

Reply to
Neil Nelson