Header Collector Gasket Leak

Andy, replace the gaskets and don't tighten them so damn much! The "dead soft" gaskets don't require all that much oomph to make a good seal.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Andy,

The silicone won't work and will just make things worse when it's time to replace the gaskets.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

if you over tighten them they will leak. and if you use silicone and it does stick to the exhaust you will never get it apart again.

Reply to
S.S.I.N.

How do I repair subject leak? I replaced the POS gaskets that came with the Y-pipe with the Flowtech dead-soft aluminum gaskets and cranked them down pretty good. But I still have a leak. Question: Could a bead of high temp silicone be applied to both sides of the aluminum gasket and reassembled without causing more leaks? This stuff dries like rubber and may seal the leak. Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Andy

Reply to
AndyW

Thanks for the responses thus far from Doc and Marsh Monster. From the feedback I've gotten, I've learned that it's not a good thing to overtighten the fasteners. I'll use the hi-temp silicone as an interim fix and resign myself to the fact that I'll be replacing the gaskets in a year or so. Thanks. Andy

Reply to
AndyW