Made the switch to Mobil 1

Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, Just was going to say I made the switch to Mobil 1 today on my '99 K1500 5.3L with 90K. I did some looking around google and didn't really come up with a deffinate
answer, should I change the oil and filter at 500 or 1000miles? would it be ok to just chage the filter and top off at 500 or 1000 miles? If not, why? (just curious) What I was looking to do change filter and or oil at 500/1000 miles, then maybe again at 1000 or 2000miles (depending on how it looks) then go to 3-4K mile oil changes. sound ok? and here again, should I change oil and filter while doing the swap?
Also, I was at O'reillys today, and the guy said that the front and rear differentials already have synthetic in them from the factory, is that correct? Either way I'm going to change everything over to synthetic anyway, just curious..
Adair

Adair,
Change oil + filter @ 1,000 miles, then switch to 3-4k intervals immediately afterwards. No need for another 1-2k change.
Doc

thanks for the question and the answer, i was wondering the same thing. as i too, am thinking of changing over to moble 1 i have a 2000 z71 w/5.3 also. thanks again. this group is so great, i have learned alot from it.

Thanks Doc, any idea on the synethic in the diffs. from the factory?
Adair
Adair Winter wrote:

I don't know about your diff's, call the dealer and ask if you want to know for sure. As for the oil/filter, go with what Doc said and do both at 1000 miles. While the filter takes out the big chunks, you will be surprised how black the oil will be after only 1000 miles. As for change intervals, I usually do my truck (Mobil 1) between 4000 and 4500 miles. Most of my miles are in town/metro driving, so not the best conditions. My previous work vehicle(s) I would drive 45-60K each year, 90% of which was over the road driving, and I would then comfortably switch oil/filter at 5500 miles (roughly once a month, 10 or so times a year) and never had any problems, and the oil was coming out very nice even at those intervals. Driving habits and conditions do impact your intervals. We had a truck at the camp I used to run that got it's oil changed roughly every 1000 miles, as those were about the roughest miles a vehicle could endure.
Big Chris
wrote in message

Not a clue bud, although this is the first I've heard of GM using synthetics in differentials. It won't affect your switching over to Mobil 1 either way.
Doc

right, just was curious, I was kinda thinking the guy at the parts store didn't really know what he was talking about.. anyway, like I said either way, I'm going to use synthetic..
Adair
Thanks for the info guys.. Have learned alot here.
wrote in message

Have you thoroughly checked out the liability of Mobil 1 if you switch to this? You didn't say how many miles your rig has on it. I switched to Mobil 1, and two weeks later I had to rebuild my engine. Mobil 1? I don't know for sure, but I talked to my freind who just retired form the National Guard, [he was a jet engine mechanic if that says anything, he said, "I, personally would not have used syn oil], in this, [mine], truck were it mine. Also, the guy who rebuilt my engine said NO too. He wouldn't warrant it if I did. In fact he told me to never use 5w oil again. Not even in winter. And he said, "I don't care what dealers and manufacturers say." "No oil pressure," he said. Your oil pressure gauge don't mean shit. [and he went into details of why, but I forget]. For the record my truck is an '88. Unknown mileage, but the odo said 95 thousand when I made the switch to syn. The engine had been into before by someone, [as discovered when it went kaput], the crank had been ground .030 under. Anyway, after Mobile 1, and two weeks, [and before the rebuild], I lost my cam bearings, main bearings AND the lobes of the cam were as much as .060 undersize from wear. Not here to flame, just stating my experience.
Hatt

The damage was done pre=Mobil 1. I switched my truck 2 years ago, I think, at 90,000 or so, maybe higher. No complaints, nothing has failed, nothing burns, nothing drips. 5w-30 goes in, that's the weight listed on the oil cap...

wrote in message

I'm glad you've had a good experience, and I believe you are probably right about damage pre Mobile 1. I did experience some leaking after Mobile 1, and I understood that I might, before I switched. I chose to make the switch, and can't blame anyone but myself at this point. However for me, the switch would not make sense then, does not make sense now, cause, as I said, my engine rebuild is not warranted if I use it.
It has been suggested that Mobile 1 accelerated pre Mobile 1 damage, [wear], in my engine. If thats true, I choose to look on the bright side, in that it forced me to get an engine rebuild sooner, rather than later. Perhaps if I'd used it immediately after buying the truck last Feb. I would not have had to spend 4 thousand in repairs to the outside of the engine that did nothing to fix the inside of that engine.
As regards 5w oil, well, my engine won't be warranted there either, if I use it.
For what is already commonly known about dealership practice, and manufacturing practice for that matter, I think many might be suspicious of why there is a recommendation to use 5w oil. I know why others "say" a person should,but it don't hold water with me. 5w oil "is" water, and 10w is pretty close too. In winter? Well, in winter, if below zero either use a heater on the engine, or keep it in the garage. Thats my solution.
Hatt

Can't keep it in the garage, can't run a heater. Would be dragging an extension cord the length of our 60 foot driveway to plug the truck in. As I said, no problems with what I've been using, so I'll just stick with it. I'd certainly use what my engine guy told me to use if he told me he'd void the warranty if I used anything else, but I'm not sure why he's not liking Mobil 1. This link may have been posted in this group, may have been another group, but I'll link it again.
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

wrote in message

Haven't seen the link yet. Is it safe to go there with Internet Explorer and active scripting and active X?
As pertains to oil in this case, he's an old timer, like me and my jet engine buddy. None of us believes in anything until its proven and proven again. And again.
Hatt

Dunno about the site in IE. I use Mozilla.
wrote in message

Thats fine cause they are both Mozilla compatible, anyway, my IE browser headers says so.
Hatt p.s. If you are talking about Netscape, I believe the most current version supports active X.

Mozilla is the base for Netscape, so it may support it.

wrote in message

Very interesting. However, I stopped when they said they weren't willing to risk the engine to test.
Hatt
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html
I also have a 99 Z71. I thought Ian would have had some input here but since he didn't, here's my 02. Check your owner's manual first. Your front differential has regular gear lube - if you change to synthetic, you should change the plastic vent cap also. Your rear differential has synthetic and has to have synthetic put back in it. If you change your transfer case fluid, and you have the automatic shift, (buttons on the dash) you have to use GM's auto trak fluid. Lots of guys swear by Mobil 1 and maybe I would too, but my truck, like yours, has over 90k miles. It doesn't use a drop of oil. I figure the truck will wear out before the motor gives up so I can't pay triple the cost for oil changes. Guys in the racing business might see some "real" benefit from synthetic oil but I'll just stay with the factory requirements. Like I said, just my 02. . . . . .

"George" wrote

Good info, George. It's Thanksgiving weekend up here in Canada, so haven't been on the newsgroups as much. One small change to your info...you can have buttons on the dash, and still have t/case that uses ATF. What you are looking for is the "Auto4hi" button. That signifies a t/case that uses the clutch packs to engage the front driveshaft. Which needs autotrak.
Ian

Good info, as mine has the auto 4hi feature..
Adair