Strange howel from 99 burban

I have this strange howling noise coming from my wife's suburban at about 60 MPH and above. It even does it when I get up to speed and put it in neutral and coast. I thought it might be the "SKIN" on the running boards. There is a spot where the front skin overlaps the middle and it is coming apart, thought maybe wind was getting under it and creating a noise. Taped it temporarily and still got the noise. Checked out the hood protector, the plastic piece under the font bumper, had tires checked at local tire shop. I'm kinda stumped. Anyone have any ideas, other than not doing 60 MPH or more! Sorry if this is confusing, kinda hard to explain this problem.

Reply to
TrailShredder

I used to have a '99 Tahoe that made the same noise and it was bone stock with no accessories. I found out that it was the roof rack that was making the noise. In order to fix the problem, try moving the front adjustable cross beam toward the back of the truck until it is about 3 feet or so from the rear cross beam.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Venditti

I had this happen in my 91 suburban it turned out the center bearing support for the two piece drive shaft was bad. Above a certain speed it would scream like an air-raid siren. You may not have a two piece drive shaft but if you do don't discount that this is the problem. The way I eventually found out what it was, a garage put the truck on a lift and put it into gear with the engine running and the pinpointed the noise.

good luck, mark

Reply to
rock_doctor

. .

Strange howel from 99 burban Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Oct 13, 2003, 2:56pm (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@shred.com (TrailShredder)

I have this strange howling noise coming from my wife's suburban at about 60 MPH and above. It even does it when I get up to speed and put it in neutral and coast. I thought it might be the "SKIN" on the running boards. There is a spot where the front skin overlaps the middle and it is coming apart, thought maybe wind was getting under it and creating a noise. Taped it temporarily and still got the noise. Checked out the hood protector, the plastic piece under the font bumper,

had tires checked at local tire shop. I'm kinda stumped.

Anyone have any ideas, other than not doing 60 MPH or more!

Sorry if this is confusing, kinda hard to explain this problem. ======== ======== Master Shredder, have yer drive-line inspected.

And......get a second opinion on the tires from another place. Be 100% sure that the tires are not "chopped" ...causing the noise. Be advised that the noise would likely be there at all speeds if it was the tires.

get yer driveline inspected for....

u-joints

center support bearing (aka...hanger or carrier bearing)

axle bearings

(The most common speed related components)

do a repost and let us know....

masrshmonster

-
Reply to
Marsh Monster

Re: Strange howel from 99 burban Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Oct 14, 2003, 10:38am From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Marsh=A0Monster) . Strange howel from 99 burban Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Oct 13, 2003, 2:56pm (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@shred.com (TrailShredder) I have this strange howling noise coming from my wife's suburban at about 60 MPH and above. It even does it when I get up to speed and put it in neutral and coast. I thought it might be the "SKIN" on the running boards. There is a spot where the front skin overlaps the middle and it is coming apart, thought maybe wind was getting under it and creating a noise. Taped it temporarily and still got the noise. Checked out the hood protector, the plastic piece under the font bumper, had tires checked at local tire shop. I'm kinda stumped. =A0=A0Anyone have any ideas, other than not doing 60 MPH or more! Sorry if this is confusing, kinda hard to explain this problem. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Master Shredder, =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0have yer drive-line inspected. And......get a second opinion on the tires from another place. Be 100% sure that the tires are not "chopped" ...causing the noise. Be advised that the noise would likely be there at all speeds if it was the tires. get yer driveline inspected for.... u-joints center support bearing (aka...hanger or carrier bearing) axle bearings (The most common speed related components) do a repost and let us know.... masrshmonster

-

Yep what he said.......From experience most of the guys that work at tire shops. Just there paid by the hour and want beer money and not work. Simple tire inspection which takes no brains.......Run your hand around the inside of your tire. Is the tred even or is it feathering....Meaning the tred kinds goes up and down ......If its even proceed on to the next .But if its not rotate your tires and see if the noise shifts to the rear... If it does there is your problem. And you need a alignment.... Steve C.

Reply to
Steve Cook