Audi A4 1.9TDI 1997 Timing Belt

Mine has just snapped! Car has done 141,000 miles with full Audi dealership service.Timing belt had done 23,000 miles in 18 month (2year warranty on Audi
parts).The car is now at the Audi Garage, sprokett intack, camshaft not siezed but the belt has slipped and worn through. Audi are wanting me to have the cylinder head repaired and new belt etc.. fitted at approx 1600 before making any descion on any payment I might or probably not recieve. What are they going to be looking for, I see from some of the letters that the water pump seal can cause problems by washing out the lubricant for the timing belt. Any help would be great as I have to make a decision soon whether or not to let audi go ahead and rebuild the cylinder head or have independant dealer fit a new engine for less
dont pay a penny, its easy for them to say they will do the work and then decide who's going to pay, i would sugest you demand to know before any work is carried out, this is a lot of money for the repairs involved, if you read my later post i have just done a simmilar job on an audi A4 1.8 20 valve and we did the job for just under 1000. our labour rates are 40.00 per hour plus vat, i would imagine AUDI's are probably double that.