California cars vs. elsewhere

Hi guys, I'm thinking about buying an '04 S4. I'm searching the whole country for one and I'm wondering if California cars should be avoided because of the
emissions regs that manufacturers are forced to comply with. I know this might not be PC for some of you and I apolgize for that, but I live in Wisconsin and we don't have to comply with CA's regs. I am sensitive to the issues. I have an old Jeep CJ that I modified for power, but I did go the extra mile to insure it runs very clean (cleaner than stock but with a hell of a lot more power and better mileage!). So please, don't jump all over me for being pro-smog. I like my clean air, too. Is there a difference in CA cars? Should I avoid one from there, or is one OK? What kind of power loss can I expect if any? Thanks! Pete

Are you certain cars in WI don't already meet CA regs in the first place? For all I know they may and you are not charged. From what I have seen there is no performance loss between cars that meet CA regs and cars that don't...
If you find a good '04 S4 that is CA go for it... you won't be disappointed!
-- Taylor
'89 Audi 200 '03 Audi S6 Avant '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Thanks. That's really all I care about is if there's a big performance drop. If there's not and it complies with CA regs, it's all good.

Most German cars, Audis included, should already be compliant with California emissions requirements no matter where in the U.S. they are sold. There should be a label under the hood indicating this.
Dave Riesz
I don't think California S4's are different from the rest of the US.