BMW's nothing but problems??? Really???

Page 5 of 5
szguitar wrote:

Nonsense! This sounds like talk from the uninformed. Sure you'll get an occasional lemon just like you would from any other manufacturer. Do the regular scheduled maintenance and get the warranty work done if needed. Drive it like it was meant to be driven and enjoy it. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Absolutely!
Are you buying the car for yourself or are you just trying to impress others? Drive what *YOU* like and stop worrying about what others think or say. If they don't like what you are driving tell them to buy you the car *they* think you should be driving.

A stick is the only way to go. If you want auto you should buy a Volvo.
Good luck and enjoy your new car.
Rita

small
or
Nonsense. If you prefer a stick fair enough, but as so much of todays everyday motoring seems to involve driving in heavy traffic, an auto makes much more sense. Go back 20 or 30 years and I might have agreed with you, but not in todays traffic conditions. I do agree with your other points though. In that it's his choice, and I also agree with most of the posters that say a BMW is not necessarily a money pit. Well maintained they are no more expensive to run than any other similarly classed car. Mike.
szguitar wrote:

A wild overstatement. The e36 has proven to be very reliable, and after the first year or so of production, the e46 has too. Since the e90 is brand new, 1) there is little info on its reliability yet, and 2) it's likely to be less reliable in its first year than it will be in years thereafter.

Actually, after owning 3 e36s (325i, 325is, M3), I've been looking around at a lot of alternatives for my next car, but I just don't see any way I'd be happy with anything other than a used e46 330 or M3 (unless it's a new e90 325i with sport package).
I guess I've been spoiled for other makes.

Drivel. 5 series are bigger softer and less agile than 3 series. Except for the M5, of course. If "real men" prefer boulevard cruisers to sports cars, then you heard right.

If this is your primary criterion, buy a Honda S2000 or Toyota MR Spyder. They're the most reliable convertibles out there. And bland.

All M5s are manual. I'd choose an auto (SMG) M3, personally. It's actually faster than the manual.

If your traffic is bad, I'd *definitely* get a SMG. You can manually paddle shift when you feel the need for speed, and otherwise be shiftless.

Avoid the first year of a new model. That's about it.
The factory set the e46 M3s' rev limiter too high, letting some fools damage the engine. I suspect that's more common on manuals than autos, though. If you buy a e46 M3, I'd chip it (e.g. Jim Conforti) to bring down the rev limit a little, especially if you see yourself pushing the car hard. But most M3 owners don't (...chip or drive hard).
On older M3s, I'd also look at the shock towers to see if there's cracking. It's a pretty stiff suspension. In fact, you'd better drive one before buying. A sport 330 might be a lot easier to live with, especially if you live in Pothole Land.
Randy

The new M5 comes (currently) only with an SMG.

Not true. They (finally) admitted to two problems, both related to bearing failures (one was a bad batch of bearings, the other oiling IIRC).
FloydR
Floyd Rogers wrote:

Did BMW redress this in more than just words? Was there a recall?
How can a buyer know if an M3 has been "fixed"? Or if it needs to be?
Randy

There were two recalls. Easy to track from the vin.
FloydR
Anything you read here is anecdotal and involves a small sample size, skewed by people who have a strong opinion one way or the other. Objective surveys from Consumer Reports and JD Powers indicate that BMWs are more reliable than American makes (in general), but not as reliable as Acura and Lexus. We all know about Mercedes's quality downfall and bad customer service. If you enjoy the driving characteristics of a BMW, you just have to resign yourself to the higher probability of something going wrong and a higher lifetime cost of maintenance. This is worth it for some. Not my opinion, just a sober reading of the data. As for me, I put more weight on total quality and reliability. Once BMW fixes its reliability issues, designs a new navigation system, and drives down its total ownership costs to the level of a Lexus, I'll be a buyer.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I agree in general. The only thing to keep in mind about the JD Powers and Consumer Reports surveys is they do not adequately differenciate between serious problems and niggling inconvenience issues. Since all require a visit to the dealership for warranty repair they are treated pretty much equally, accounting only for the frequency of total failures.
To me, the only important failures are the serious ones affecting driveability and safety. Minor problems with electronic gee-gaw, while of interest should not be of major concern.
--
-Fred W

>I've heard things such as real men own

You serious?
--
Sam

Possibly. In the Harley Davidson crowd, "Real men don't ride Sportsters."
I'm on my second BMW, the first was totaled by an errant driver coming from the other direction, and my experience -- as limitedf as it may be -- is that my BMWs are the cheapest cars to own that I have ever owned.
On the first one, I put on more than 100,000 miles in 5 years, and my service costs were something on the light side of $1,000.

I forgot to mentiom, my BMWs are '94 325Is

If they're the cheapest to maintain that you've ever owned, you must be an ex-GM owner.

Hey man. I can tell you. I am in the automotive industry. I drive different cars all the time. I've driven Porsche, Jaguar, Volvo, Mercedes, SUVs, and many Japanese Cars. Of course, I am giving you a biased opinion because every will give you an opinion based on personal taste. I drive a BMW because they look nice and drive like "ultimate driving machines." They handle great. Even if you get a BMW with a small engine, those engines are so responsive, it is unbelievable. So here are your answers.
szguitar wrote:

Why? Maybe because they are every advanced in their technology. Plus tariffs and all that mumbo jumbo.>I thought the best people to ask are actual BMW owners. Would you do it

more maintenance. But having the regular maintenance will be good (you get that automatically with every new BMW) so you'll be OK. You don't have to take your Japanese cars to get any "regular maintenance."
Pro's and con's of going

and I live in California but I don't mind shifting. Automatics will be heavier and some people that drive them say that they are not as quick. I will tend to agree. Plus, the stick is more economical. When the 2002s Ci models came out there was an issue (a recall) with the 325ci and 330ci because they had problems with their weather stripping on the doors. it was a bad design and the weather stripping kept coming off. They finally got it right after the 2002 model, so you will be okay if you get a coupe of sometime. The 3 series sedan did not have this problem. You will be blessed if you get a car that does not have any problems at the beginning. My brother has a 330i sedan and only has an intermittent problem with one of the fog lights. The dealer has looked at it, but they never see anything wrong.>Since I've never owned a BMW all advice on years and models to avoid>and the best years/models, tips etc. would be much appreciated.