'Runaway' 130mph BMW has no faults!

Page 1 of 2
As expected: http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006120809,,00.html Guess he was just a crap driver after all.
JB

should have been inspected by a totally independent garage..........of course BMW will find no faults...........what else would you expect.
Name wrote:

what would i expect from bmw?
me: 'radio not working'
bmw 'transmission broken, unrepairable... need new transmission $6000... engine broken, unrepairable.. need new engine $10000...'

Didn't they check the nut that was holding the wheel - seemed seriously defective to me...

I think it's more likely that they found no faults, rather than there were none. I refuse to believe that anyone, apart from someone with a death wish, would deliberately drive or crash their car in such a life threatening manner. That the driver was a bit of a thicko seems apparent. Nevertherless.... Mike.

It is impossible to underestimate the human intellect.
Huw
Huw wrote:

On average, or in a specific circumstance?
--
-Fred W

In general. I do believe that it is particularly apt in this case considering the glaring evidence before everyone. Of course a huge number just cannot see it and give the driver the most generous benefit of their doubt and prefer to believe there to be a technical reason as to why he could not stop. This in itself is evidence [whatever the actuality of the case] that my statement is pertinent.
Huw

manner.
it
in
is
Peculiar logic to say the least. Mike.

So you believe that the car was unstoppable then?
Huw

see
This
statement
No. I think he could have simply switched of the ignition and cruised onto the hard shoulder, but I am inclined to believe that there was something wrong with his car. Otherwise it doesn't make sense for him to telephone the police, drive at such a dangerously high speed, given the traffic conditions, and then finish up totaling his car by crashing it into a roundabout. He might be stupid, but I can't believe anyone would drive as he did by choice. Mike.

While I am not inclined to think so on his evidence alone, I do not discount the possibility.

He might be stupid. Yes.
but I can't believe anyone would drive as he did by

Maybe, if he had a motive, however stupid or incomprehensible the motive seems to right-minded souls. I would never underestimate the depths of stupidity possibe.
Huw

Somebody previously mentioned that shutting the ignition off would lock the steering wheel, however I am not so sure. Am I mistaken, or isn't there a ignition key position (first stop CCW) that will kill the engine, but still leave the steering unlocked? I have to check this. Seems like if there isn't - it would be a good safety feature to include in a car's design. Stuck throttle cables aren't so rare, and the newer "fly by wire" systems can't be perfect.
I recall an old Chrysler product I had many years ago with a slant six engine. The carb was designed with a spring that would open the throttle fully if the throttle cable or cable pin broke. I know because it happened to me.
RCE

No car out of the many many I've owned locks the steering until the key is *removed* from the lock - not just turned off.
--
*Vegetarians taste great*

That's what I thought. Thanks.
RCE
JB wrote:

Thought so all along.
'Pluralitas non est pudenda sine necessitate'. Occam
(No need for complex explanations when simpler one would suffice)
Vijay Kumar

not to many years ago, I recall my Grandfather had a similar problem The vehicle ran away with him and would not stop, he ran 2 red lights, ended up going the wrong way down a one way. Switching off the ignition would have done nothing and the brakes would not stop it.
The outcome was that the police set up a block a few miles along and when he approached they shot the horse dead.......................luckily it did not turn the cart over and grandfather was saved.
A vets inspection after could find nothing wrong with the animal.
The police refused to comment.
dj

As was proven by several car magazines after the famous 60 Minutes - Audi travesty, no street car ever made, including high-power, hopped-up 'Vettes and Porsches, has been sufficiently powerful that under maximum power it could not be stopped by its brakes, unless those brakes were defective.
Period. End of story. Any contention otherwise is pure, fanciful bullshit.
-- Larry
JB wrote:

It struck me at the time as just an excuse for being caught speeding.. and the news is certainly accurate - since when did an E36/318 have 140MPH capabilities? Mebbe UK MPH's are different than US? (humor)
I was thinking the same thing... my 318is was limited at 132mph (or right around that) and it was damn difficult to get that car to that speed, it was possible, but there was a tailwind.. I was going down hill etc...
oh yeah and as my POV, the guy was full of shit... turn the ignition off, or shift into neutral... rather pop the motor than fold up the car....