The smooth-running Inline 6 to be replaced?

Page 3 of 3
In article

I bought it at auction with about 90,000 miles and sold it at around 160,000. I didn't change the thrust arms.

Not yet. Both the front struts have been changed due to the spring platforms shearing off - so I doubt I could be accused of only driving gently on billiard table smooth roads. ;-)

Not a trace of wheel shimmy on mine yet.
--
*I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant

55-60mph, but both times, it turned out to be an out of balanced wheel. Since then, I've always did the cheapest thing first and checked the wheel balance. Good Luck!

None.
--
*Eat well, stay fit, die anyway

Call the Pope! It's a bloody miracle! --scott

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the point I was making about the durability of the transmissions.
The GM in my E46 is a 5-speed, BTW.

Yes - GM eventually caught up. Sad considering they made the finest autos in the world at one time.
--
*His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork

My suspicion is that if you ignore the "lifetime fluid" recommendation and maintain the transmission properly, you're apt to do a lot better than the average driver.
But then again, I don't like automatic transmissions for a whole host of other reasons, most notably they have a lot more stuff in there to break, and that they are difficult to repair when they do break, and that they are much less fun to drive unless you spend your life in stop and go traffic. And if you spend your life in stop and go traffic you have worse things to worry about.

BMW is really worried about brand dilution in the US, which seems like a shame to me, but then I'm probably exactly the kind of customer they don't want any more. --scott

A nice manual can be a pleasure to use. But these tend to be restricted to smaller cars due to simple mechanics. Most larger ones aren't so pleasant - things like the clutch delay valve see to that. And with the 8 speed autos BMW fit these days the performance/economy difference is far less marked. The latest SMG is quite good too.
--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

IMO, anything over 6 is overkill, at least for the US where speeds of over 80 MPH are rare. Marketing "I got more" games, I suspect.
I imagine these silly 8-speeders are *constantly* shifting.

An ideal gearbox would be constantly variable. Sadly practical implementation of such devices is flawed.

With a decent box how would you know or care?
--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Shifting-around is a drawback of autos in general, and one reason some people prefer manuals.
I don't like shifting at the slightest change of conditions. I like to hear my motor swing through some RPM's, not just sit there while the gear ratio is changed.
People are allowed to dislike things that are "better on paper".
Many people despise the "ideal on paper" continuously-variable transmissions, just on the basis of the feel and sound. Even if was 100% efficient and lasted forever, I wouldn't want one.

Can't see the point of revving the engine under light load. Under heavy load a decent auto hangs on to the low gears just like you'd do in a manual.

Me neither.
--
*Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 00:52:44 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

"Boy Racer Syndrome"
Remember, his other car is a Supra...
personaobscura wrote:

Well, it's not just unwanted upshifting, there's unwanted downshifting as well.

Not really, otherwise I wouldn't have bought a 323.
Definitely a bit of a "motorhead", though... 8)

Supra *Turbo*. With 6-speed manual. 8)

What's a "smaller car?" Would the 1 or 3 Series qualify? What about the 5 Series, both the 550i and 535i are available with manual transmission, albeit with the dreaded clutch delay valve.

The latest issue of Roundel has an article on how to remove and replace the CDV, so you can make a larger car more pleasant to drive!

breakdown in a little over 100K miles that makes it worrisome.
If you like SMG, the new 7 speed DKG (double clutch gearbox) found on the E92 M3 is suppose to be even better! Again, how is the reliability? Good Luck!