Chevy S10 "pep"

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 03:01:46 GMT, "William R. Walsh" wrote something wonderfully witty:

The usual answer is laughs & giggles. Not one of my vehicles is bone stock the way it came from the factory. I won't even go into what I've done to my bike. For me it is a hobby, keeps me out of trouble.

Sure is. I have had two Astro's and three S-10's all with that engine and one S-10 with the Iron Duke. The only problem I have ever had with them is valve guides getting old & dried out and getting blow-by smoke when they first start up.

However, the original poster is currently not running a 4.3. He is running the base 4-banger. For the price & energy of doing a 4.3 swap, you can do the V-8 swap and get more for you time & money. A Goodwrench 4.3 is $2,495.23, the 350/290 I mentioned is $1599 plus another $425 for the swap parts. It actually ends up being cheaper. The issue with both swaps with be the tranny. The 4-banger tranny won't handle the 4.3 or 5.7 liter engines. Or at least I don't think it will.

All depends on what your goals are. Some folks like to go faster, some like to putter along in the right hand lane of life. To each their own.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

He's wanting more power, but I told him that he's not going to make any significant power without a lotta cash. He's wanting 300hp.. give or take

20hp. That general area. And he wants it as cheaply as possible. My guess is that he'll realize it's going to cost a lot more $$ than he's willing to dish out & won't do it. But then again, he might.

-Mike

>> for a complete selection of GM performance motors.> >>

Reply to
<memset

putting a big block in an S truck will make it handle like crap... it's physics... it will have a HUGE trendency to plow through corners. the key to handling is balance, an S10 w/ a 800lbs 572 under the hood is the exact opposite of such.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Then I guess it's a good thing he's not going to put in THAT big of an engine. He's either get a big engine or go the turbo route.. get a new tranny.. and beef up the suspension....... or do nothing at all. I do know, however, that he's not going to put in a 572 :P.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 17:14:34 -0400, Bret Chase wrote something wonderfully witty:

Silly Wabbit you change the suspension if you want to get into the twisties. Have you never watched the NASCAR Sport Truck races? What you think they got under the hood on those? Seesh.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 21:23:01 GMT, wrote something wonderfully witty:

Nobody expected him to. Bret is just up for being argumentative. Heavier springs with a small block V-8 is all that is required and they come in the swap kit. The weight difference between a 4.3 liter and a 5.7 really isn't all that great.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 16:19:04 GMT, wrote something wonderfully witty:

Yeah, but for what? Drag racing? Autocrossing? Pulling stumps?

Reply to
ZombyWoof

they have a 358ci small block.

Reply to
Bret Chase

I don't think his stock tranny will even bolt up. However, a 4 speed auto from any S-10 or Full-size truck with either a 5.7 or 4.3 will handle it fine. Heck, the Corvette uses the same auto tranny, just a different casing, look it up.

Sorry, thought it was directed at me, but still info to know for the swap...

Reply to
Mike Levy

A FWD engine would be A LOT of work to put in a RWD or 4WD application. However, the Camaro/Firebird had a 3.4L V-6 as a base engine, so it'll bolt right up where a 2.8 was in most any RWD or 4WD vehicle.

Reply to
Mike Levy

The Vette tranny has:

Larger clutch drums, with many more clutches, a larger input for the torque converter, a larger min shaft and output shaft. All the internals are heavier.

But I often wonder if you could pack all the good stuff in the smaller case, when you have a customer who insists on a turbo and nitrous. You'd be surprised at how many do!

Just a thought?

Refinish King

PS For my 89 Cavalier Z24 that I an turboing, I have a transmission from a Lumina, it has lots more clutches in the clutch drums, a bigger differential, now. If I can only find a limited slip for it, or machine the housing to accept clutches?

>>> for a complete selection of GM performance motors.> >>>

Reply to
Refinish King

Absolutely!

Also, there are tons of mods available for it!

Refinish King

PS The RWD and FWD have different bolt patterns for the bellhousing, what prompted the GM engineers to do that? I guess that's why we fix what the engineers screw up?

Reply to
Refinish King

Yes you can since the housings are the same. There are only a few differences such as a beefier servo and a few other minor parts that can be picked up at a trans shop. I remember correctly there are only two extra steels/friction plates in the clutch pack. After a good rebuild with upgraded parts the TH-700R4 is a great transmission that can handle 400+ HP.

Rita

Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz

Often makes you wonder WHY they apply the same designation to both then. The Corvette and S-10 both use (in current models) a 4L60E when an auto is specified. Full-size 1/2-ton trucks use one also, wonder if that one is different as well...

Reply to
Mike Levy

S-series.org has a whole area devoted to the 3.1 and 3.4 swap.

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

the corvette trans has the same "K" case as a 4wd truck w/ the cast AL TC cover w/ torque struts, but with the 2wd output shaft and tailhousing. they use the same name because it's the same basic unit, only minor details separate them. you've got to remember economy of scale... if the vehicle doesn't need the 2 extra clutches, why put them in... over a years run of 200,000 units, not installing 400K clutches is a huge savings for GM.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 23:46:49 GMT, Mike Levy wrote something wonderfully witty:

Well this is another of the "Yeah but" posts. He isn't talking about a 2.8, but a base Inline Four. In retrospect the easy solution is probably to trade it for a 4.3 model and go from there. Regardless of the avenue, it isn't going to be cheap or easy to get an I4 to 300hp.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 19:28:06 -0400, Bret Chase wrote something wonderfully witty:

And what was my recommended solution as the best alternative Bert? You just can't keep ping-ponging all over the place. Well actually apparently you can.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 02:45:32 -0500, "Big Chris" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Yeah without a doubt they do. But in a scenario where the goal is to get a minimum of 300hp in a S-10 that currently has an I4 in it what would your approach be?

Reply to
ZombyWoof

how exactly am I ping ponging? I said an S10 w/ a big block would handle like ass. I don't see what that has to do with NASCAR requiring a max dispacement of 358ci. but whatever chief.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase