Double flare ideas or suggestions

A friend helped with some brake work, and used a double flare tool. Neat. Anyhow, I can see that as being a skill I can use.

Went to HF, and bought a double flare tool. came home, and tried five or six times, and can't quite get it right.

Anyone else done double flare? Any ideas, or things I should know?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Step one - Cut the tubing SQUARE with a fine tooth saw blade or similar, don't use a tubing cutter as it crimps the tubing and work hardens the cut location. Neither of those is desirable.

Step two - debur the tubing VERY well inside and out. You want it smooth inside and a light chamfer on the edge. Install the fittings you need THE CORRECT DIRECTION!!!

Step three - set up the tool PROPERLY. This is the step that causes grief. Use the double flare adapter to set the tubing depth. Clamp the tubing tight, slippage is not a good thing.

Step four - use a small dab of brake fluid as a lube on the die. Make sure the double adapter is square on the tube when you start tightening it down.

Step five - Tighten the tool till it bottoms out the adapter on the frame, then open the forming die and remove the double adapter.

Step six - Run the forming die in till it seats and creates the nice double flare you need. Remove the tool and lightly clean up any marks the tool left on the tubing. I like to install the tube then paint it with some good paint. It makes them last a while longer in the salt.

You can also create a bubble flare with the same tool. You just skip the last step.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks. I'd been using tubing cutter.

.