'95 Cirrus overheating

Here's the situation. I drove to work this morning, about 34 miles. Car was fine throughout the drive, then when I got to the town I work in and had to slow down for lights, etc., the temperature guage starts climbing. I got to work and shut it off. I had hoped this was another of those mystery Chrysler problems that goes away the next time you start the vehicle. On the way home, same thing. If I start the car and let it idle, it won't overheat, only when the vehicle is moving at slow speeds. Seems like the top radiator hose only gets hot to the elbow until you drive it and it starts overheating, then the whole top hose gets hot. The bottom hose never gets hot. I can let the car idle for an hour and grab the top hose without any problem, but after driving it slowly around the block, it's definitely hot. Not sure if it's the thermostat or maybe the cap? Any help would be _GREATLY_ appreciated! BTW, car has the 2.5 v6 automatic. It's a '95 with about 85k on the odometer. Thanks, Tommy

Reply to
digex

Here's what I've found:

I tried the "bleeding" thing that I found on Allpar. I noticed that there was very little liquid in the top hose. The reservoir is absolutely full, so I was confused. I took the hose off the reservoir to check for blockages and it seems like there might have been something in there. So I cleared it and poured some water into the cap. I replaced the cap and took off. It didn't overheat at all. Don't know what the deal is, but hopefully it's fixed. Any input?

Reply to
digex

Needs a new radiator cap. The old one is pulling air rather than antifreeze from the overflow, which is why the upper hose is empty. Same thing happened on our old 95 Stratus after 9 yrs. Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
SpongeBob