DAWN, clean to a fault.

Page 4 of 4

Actually Dad, there is but the MSDS sheet says that Dawn does not cause corrosion. And I think if it did, there would be a warning label about not washing certain type of metal pots.
Works great as a marine bilge cleaner..just pour some in the bilge and let it slosh around for a few trips and then pump out all that dirty water/stuff. Clean like new...!!!!!!!!!!

FWIW, the MSDS on this soap:
http://www.fsafood.com/msds/vault/000/000623.pdf

FWIW, here is what I found listed for the Dawn ingredients:
Water , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Sodium Pareth-23 Sulfate , C12-14-16 Dimethyl Oxide , SD Alcohol 40-B , Undeceth-9 , Sodium Cumenesulfonate , PPG26 , Sodium Chloride , Cyclohexanediamine , Polyacetate , Fragrance , FD&C Yellow #5 , D&C Red No. 33
'Dawn as well as all other dishwashing detergents, removes the wax on a car ' !! -- Sal Zaino of Zaino Polish Inc.
Dont use Dawn. Use proper car wash and wax.
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:18:16 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (dave) wrote:

Ok, if Dawn is a wax stripper.... suppose in theory you wash your car with Dawn each time and then wax it. If the soap isn't corrosive per the MSDS, what do you think of this method (assume the water isn't hard) ?
Regardless of your answer, I don't plan to do this so feel free to shoot me down or up.
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:10:46 -0600, No Vette Yet wrote:

The only downside to that is more work. Other than that I see no problem.
'Ok, if Dawn is a wax stripper.... suppose in theory you wash your car with Dawn each time and then wax it. If the soap isn't corrosive per the MSDS, what do you think of this method (assume the water isn't hard) ?'
REPLY: Why wash your car with Dawn then wax it right afterward, if the next time youre going to wash it with Dawn youll be taking that wax off ??? The idea behind waxing/polishing a car, is to build up a layer of protection from the elements and to have it look shiny isnt it ? The only reason to use Dawn is to remove the wax/polish so you can paint your car if it needs it.
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 18:49:48 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (dave) wrote:

I'm not sure if I agree with that's the only reason. Sometimes you want to just take old wax off and start new. Of course, that doesn't justify washing with dawn and rewaxing each time unless you don't wash your car often.
I guess I agree with Dad, whatever makes you happy. I found my way, Dad found his and so forth.