96 RAM Nerf Bar Mounting

Does anyone have measurements/dimensions for the nerf bar mounting points on a '96 RAM Club Cab? I have looked at several newer model RAMs ('03+) and they mount to the backside of the rocker panels. Are these
mounted at "special" re-enforced locations? Are there backing plates used?
I have built my own bars and would like to mount them the same way as these newer trucks but don't want to have them tear off the first time I step on them.
Thanks.

All the ones I've seen (and installed) mount with brackets to the body mounts. The body mount bolt and lower isolator are removed, an 'L' bracket is put between the body and the isolator, with a slightly longer bolt being used to re-secure it. The bar is then bolted to the vertical portion of the 'L' bracket.
Some systems then use a small bracket to triangulate the large mounting bracket to the bottom of the rocker panel (prevents the bracket from pivoting when it bears weight), others wrap a strap around the bar a few inches from the mount point, and 'hang' it from the body - again, to prevent the bar from rotating down under weight.
Are you talking about nerf bars or just side steps. My nerf bars mount directly to the frame which is the only place that they should be mounted.