98 Ram Starting Problem

Hey all,

I have a 98 Ram 5.9 Ext Cab 4x4 that is giving me some minor grief.

Whenever it has sat for a while (more than 10 minutes) I have to cycle the key 2 or 3 times to get it to fire. If I don't, it will crank but not fire, until I stop, turn it off, turn it on and then it fires immediately.

I can assume that this is a fuel delivery problem. I was hoping that someone else has had this problem and can point me in the right direction before I go throwing parts at it. I have not yet tested the fuel pressure in the rail, so I can't supply that data.

My guesses are these:

1: Air leak in the fuel rail allowing fuel to drain back into tank. 2: Weak fuel pump not getting enough fuel to rail fast enough 3: Fuel pressure regulator toast 4: Injector leaking fuel into engine.

I appreciate any constructive advice you could provide!

Thanks,

Randy.

Reply to
WTP07

My guess would be along these lines...

Reply to
Advocate

I had a similar problem with a 5.9L Dakota and it ended up being the check valve that prevents gas from draining back into the tank when the fuel pump isn't running. I don't know how big of a job replacement is as I had the dealer do it while it was in for service. Good luck.

Reply to
Electrician