Dakota tires and traction

My 1993 Dakota 2wd has poor traction. The tires are Bridgestone Dueler A/T with about 15000 miles on them.

I have two traction challenges:

I have had to be towed several time this year when I became stuck while driving in the pasture.

Winter driving with any snow or ice at all is scary.

It seems to me that tires good for mud the off the road would be bad for snow or ice.

So, I am looking for a compromise or maybe two sets of tires.

I will appreciate any suggestions.

Reply to
DLC

Two different applications require two different types tires imo.

Blizzak as a dedicated snow/ice tire. Whatever for a mud tire.

Reply to
Roy

Suddenly, without warning, DLC exclaimed (1/5/2011 5:06 PM):

I have Michelin LTX M/S tires on my 2001 Dakota 4x4, as recommended by this group a few years ago. I've always been very happy with them.

I understand the LTX M/S2 might be even better, from reviews I've read.

Mine have about 45k miles on them, and enough tread left to get at least that again. Not cheap though, I paid $111 per tire back in, I think,

2005.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

I'm thinking that where you have a 4x4 and his is 2wd he will need all the bite and adhesion he can get.

Reply to
Roy

Full snow-only tires on all four corners, add some weight in the rear (say about 500 lb of sand). That's *snow tires* not all-weather tires. Those tires with a really agressive tread pattern.

Reply to
PeterD

Face it, no matter what tire you have or buy is going to be perfect for Every anything. So, your needs have to be weighted... unless you have money to A, have a vehicle all setup for each type of condition, B have tires in the garage and the where with all to change them as you see the weather, or C, just drive more carefully with tires that solve the most common condition you use the truck for? You aren't rip roaring across the pasture, use chains maybe? I have, but my older truck had locking differential and only had to use chains one year, while in the mountains of CO... should have used them a couple times feeding cows though, the ONE year we got real amounts of snow (in the 80's) lol.

I would and DO myself have nice big lug tires, ice is a factor in life at most 2 maybe 4 days of the year? some years maybe double that? these tires seem to dig through lots of hard pack snow, which again is a condition of maybe 14 days a year out of 255? on those days you drive slower and much more careful. as for me (and you?) Pasture driving is 250 days of 255 days, so that is how I figure it.

Also note: I wish I could have a tire fairy, change tires for rain, snow, Ice, or mud. But you know, most of us cant. I also KNOW: Sure these tires wont let me shoot off a cloverleaf at 70 MPH in traffic on perfectly sunny day neither, nor icy weather, without losing traction, neither will "Blizzyaks" in ice or perfect weather... So how much you wanna pay out for those scuba diving gear while living in Montana or you know, no where near the ocean... (yeah it might flood someday?)

but hey, if it could, the truck will probably roll over 1st anyhow.

Reply to
PlowBoy

Why don't you put screws in them like Jodi did with her's? . Just don't put them in the sidewalls.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

If I had 15000 miles on mine they would be almost bald.

My 93 I always added some weight in the back, at least 300 lbs. My positraction or anti slip still works good. There was an issue way back about adding additive, but mine works. I got stuck last year on the side of the house in mucky grass, not very steep at all. Its not for that. When your tires are too big, especially in the front, thats bad.

Reply to
zekor