Gulf Coast

Page 1 of 2
I guess everybody has been watching the coverage. I figure it is time to put some serious troops in with a no bs set of orders.
Roy

Roy wrote:

I've heard reports of 20,000 to 40,000 being deployed by this weekend. It's a logistics nightmare to get it all organized. They have been given arrest powers and marshal law has been established in some areas. Too bad more people didn't heed the warnings to evacuate. While some couldn't for a variety of reasons I don't think 200,000 people have such reasons other than stupidity.

That is what I find troubleing. Imo it has taken waaaay to long to get assistance into the area. We have flown aid to other countries in 1/2 the time.

Most of those folks don't have transportation. They were initially told to go to the dome for the duration of the storm. IIrc they were sorta trapped after the water came in. I think your 200,000 might be a bit on the high side The evacuation of the hospitals didn't take place until this morning.
Roy

The Army and National Guard should have enforced the evacuation - those who had no way out taken out by military transport. Anyone remaining behind charged with criminal trespass at the very least - Looters shot on sight.
"miles" wrote:

I think that govenment was asleep at the switch (as usual for last 4+years) on this one and only got serious after the fact and bad press. They knew several days before that it could be very, very bad and did nothing. They should have pre-deployed 10 to 20,000 gaurdsman before the storm just out of the path of the worst of it on east and west sides and had them ready to move in as storm left to maintain law and order and to aid in rescue and flood control. Government has really dropped the ball here on this one at state and federal levels because it is not like they had no warning. They could have had things under much better control than they do now if people calling the shots really knew what they were doing. I read that the day after storm that one levee had not failed yet but was weaking and they were going to use Army blackhawk choppers to set 3000 lbs sand bags (several hundred) to shore thing up but some higher up clueless individual deverted the choppers and the levee failed later that day and set back recovery another 1 to 2 month, caused untold additional damage and loss of life.

Wrong. NG spokesmen have stated that orderes to activate were sent out up to 48 hours prior to the storm hitting. This was on MSNBC, not noted as a conservative bastion.

As the NG spokesman said, its hard to be absolutely sure where to deploy when you aren't sure exact paths of destruction, or where the greatest need will be in that destruction. Thus, they deployed AFTER the storm as is standard procedure.
--
Max

Interesting article explaining what was done in preparation before Katrina hit the gulf coast.
http://www.10news.com/weather/4909184/detail.html
Roy wrote:

How about putting in some serious food, water and shelter?
JAM
it was 'time' about 72 hours ago

Naw ... 72 hours ago our fearless leader was still vacationing. How dare you expect any immediate action.
Un-frickin-believable.
Craig C.
More clueless psycho-babble from the Bush-hating looney left. So tell us, if your hero Kerry put you in charge of hurricane relief, what would *you* do differently? Nevermind, it would be just more looney-left psycho-babble. ROTFLMAO!

C'mon Babour is and has been a political hack for years. Do you know his history? That aside, Do you actually think that the response has been timely???????
Roy

You agreeing with RFK,Jr? Actually I do know of Haley Barbour...since before his head of the RNC days.

Let's see. From the feds? Yes. Could it have been better? Certainly.
From the state? No.
snipped-for-privacy@metronet.com wrote:

Vacationing? lol.

Hey, Bush flew over the area, jeez.....
and at 550MPH and 25,000 feet, thats all the closer he wanted to get. Wonder what he saw from up there?
"Wow, thats a lot of water......... what body of water is that?......... The Pahtomic? oh......we passed Pochertran back a ways? ok........"
Couldn't have been much.
--
Max

Try about 250MPH at 2,500 feet. But still - not the same as seeing it from the ground... which is impossible.
They'll actually fly that thing that low and that slow? Hell, they're lucky someone didn't shoot at it.
--
Max

Yeah, no kidding. Fortunately, the area's gun shops didn't have any shoulder-fired missiles up for grabs. Even so, I bet the Secret Service's pucker factor was relatively high. But hey, ya gotta see what's going on, and there's no way in hell he was going anywhere near downtown N.O. on the ground...
You crack me up. Always there with the facts.
;) Craig C.