guns on campus

Page 4 of 14

are you SBM by chance? if so, you and azwiley are more alike than you are different. time to kiss and make up. :-)
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Dude there is no way it could be him, if it were then I definately want a damn explaination for the attack! Either way, how are we "more alike"

IF it were SBM you two would be more alike than different in your beliefs of the importance of carry in our society. ive since realized that its NOT SBM which is good because if it were i would have been disappointed in his unwarranted attack.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Gotcha! Now, fix your site please, all it does is let me click agree over and over and over

your firewall settings are so high that theyre preventing my server from reading your cookie, therefore it doesnt know you clicked "agree". if you could lower them just a little the trouble will go away.
....im in the process of upgrading to another platform that isnt cookie dependant.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

?
i own many .357 "sigs" and enjoy the caliber thoroughly. however, up to 125 grains the .357 sig is directly comparable and in some cases actually SUPERIOR ballistically to the .357 magnum.
perfect example is from http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/corbon/convjhp.htm
125 gr. .357 magnum 1400fps 544# energy 125 gr. .357 "sig" 1425fps 564# energy
when you get into the heavier rounds the .357 magnum does "out-perform" the .357 "sig" but by how much? i dont see how having 6 shots in a revolver can compare with have 16+ shots in a perfectly reliable automatic.
i do however, disagree with steve about the .357 magnum being a poor choice for home defense. i think its a _great_ choice for home defense. most _any_ modern defensive caliber is capable of penetrating several layers of home construction. just dont miss the bad guy. :-)
while the .45 acp remains as my favorite carry caliber, i dont feel undergunned ONE BIT when i carry my g31. if its good enough to protect the president of the united states, its good enough for me.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Thank you for the info Nate. I will admit that I was unaware of just how "powerful" the SIG was rated.

when it first came out i thought of it as just another vanity round. after the secret service adopted it however, i started to look into it. when my pre-ordered TRP arrived at the gun store i went to pick it up and purely on impulse i picked up a glock 31 as well. since then ive developed one heck of a respect for the round and have since purchased several additional .357 sigs. its a GREAT round and i actually prefer it to anything other than .45 or 10mm. i even like it more than my .40s.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

The teacher at my last CCF class (formerly called CCW) screwed up my thinking. He is a weapons training officer with Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, and is in on all of the reviews of officers discharging their weapon FOR ANY REASON.
I used to like the .45 ACP, although not for body carry. It stays in the truck. I also have a 17 shot Ruger 93DC that I alternate in the truck.
Because of his course (my third now with Metro) I only carry a .380 KelTec or a 649 Smith & Wesson. The KelTec is an inside the pants holster, and the .357 MAGNUM is in a Safariland Paddle holster that is almost invisible on my hip when worn with a long shirt, vest, or jacket.
Because of the changing environment in our city, and all the 413 "man with a gun" calls, the local sheriff has changed the rules slightly. If a person has a CCF, and they get a call because someone has seen their gun, they get a letter from the sheriff explaining that there will be no second time. The second time, the permit is cancelled. Breaking concealment is grounds for losing the permit. This does not apply to situations where the gun was drawn for protection, but only applies when you are reaching for something on the top shelf at K Mart, or it falls on the floor when you are reaching for your cell phone.
Other cities and other states are better/worse depending on where you are. I personally carry pepper spray most of the time. I asked my SIL PO about it, and he said that the police have no problem with it, and wished more people would carry it. He said just to tell any officer at the get go you got it on you. I use it because my fun job takes me to some rather seedy parts of town. I have special markings on my license plate rings that identify me to police officers, so I also have not had a call in of my license plate in nine years now. As with slingshots previously discussed in this thread, one should find out about the law in their area first.
This last training drilled home that the absolute last thing you want to do is draw your gun and fire. It also drilled home that you probably have to allow someone to pound on you so it leaves marks so that when you do shoot, you don't get sued by the family of the perp. It also drilled home the use of flight or pepper spray.
Many a person has been killed with one round from a simple .22 firearm.
Discretion, situational awareness, judgement, and common sense can many times get you out of or keep you from getting into deep holes that you need to shoot your way out of. And after that, proficiency with your weapon plays a big part in the outcome.
Steve

unless you happen to be in the truck when you need it, what good will it do you in the truck?

im with you on the .357 magnum, but not the .380. i recommend that folks find the largest caliber they can handle effectively and then dress around it without exception. the smallest caliber ill ever carry or recommend is 9mm +P. with the industry focus trend heading towards concealed carry, 9mm firearms are not really much larger than your .380 and not difficult to conceal with proper dress. were i facing an armed attacker with a 9mm +P, .357 "sig", .40, .45, or 10mm i wouldnt hesitate to react appropriately. were i armed only with a .380 i would be reluctant to draw his fire.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

It stays in the truck because it is too large to carry secretively. I carry one of the smaller pistols when walking about. In defensive scenarios, there are different zones. Why do police officers leave their shotguns in their cars?
Steve

having the right holster is as important as having the right gun. what holsters have you tried for it? i have a literal box full of holsters that SUCK. i had all but given up on finding an IWB rig that i could tolerate, and then i found the VM2. its the only IWB rig ive found comfortable. its so dang comfortable in fact, that i literally forget that its there. ive fallen asleep wearing it many times.
http://miltsparks.com/VM-2.htm
makes a full size 1911 disappear, even under shorts/t-shirt..
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Galcos are a stiff enough piece of cow hide. Then you put a big belt through there, and it makes it curve even more and hold the pistol tighter. About the only thing you can do is put a plastic replica in there, and steam the shit out of it.
I'm just not in the market for any more handguns. I do have a Ruger Red Label, and a Savage Model 12 BVSS 22-250 on my shopping list for purchase soon. I'm partial to the pistols I use regularly, and can hit what I shoot at. Qualified 288/300 and 348/360 with revolver and semi-auto respectively.
I hardly shoot most of the guns I own, and many haven't been out of the safe in years. Guess it's time to sell some and clean house and buy that retirement fishing boat.
Steve

No left-handed models?
<pfft> Facists...
:^)

heh. you can get it in left handed models. im pretty dang sure you specify right/left hand when you place your oder. be aware its a true custom however, and you can wait up to 20 weeks for its arrival.
....worth every day though.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Thanks for the link. I've been looking for a good IWB holster for a couple of years and not found a one that I like.
Denny

They are a very good holster. I have one for the Sig 239.But then again whatever works for you is a good holster.
But while thinking about your situation, wouldn't a shoulder rig be better for ya? I figure you having to reach under that stomach for a gun has to be a bitch. I'm surprised your arms are long enough. <GBMFG>
Roy

im glad i rolled the dice one more time on an IWB rig. i cannot recommend the VM2 highly enough, with the only downside being the loooooong wait. check with craig at http://LightningArms.com as he has standing orders with sparks and every once in awhile he gets in a large order. he marks them up a little so theyll cost a little more than if you get them directly from sparks, but you dont have the wait if he has them in stock. in the past year ive bought 6-8 holsters from craig and it has never taken more than 2 days to get it in.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Here's a very nice Gun Week article on the .357 SIG. Their take is that the round was actually developed for better penetration of cars. As you can see from the ballistics posted there, it is right in there with the .38 and .357 Magnums, rating slightly better than some, and not quite as strong as others.
http://www.gunweek.com/2002/feature0210.html
Steve

What I like about a .357 magnum hand gun is you can load it with .38 Special ammo as well. If the first 2 round of .38 Special don't scare the intruder away, I know my life is in greater peril and I also have a better hold on the grip and a better control of my sight picture as well as situational awareness and the remaining 4 rounds of .357 magnum will be more effective.

If by "clip" you are refering to the devices that allow SA rounds to be used in revolvers then the following statement doesn't apply. But I think you don't know what you are talking about.
My father taught me a clip was used to reload a magazine, a magazine is used in a semi-automatic of fully-automatic firearms and persons firing a revolver may benefit from a speed loader, but I never heard of a clip for a revolver.