maintenance light came on at 59,759 miles

2001 B2500 Dodge Ram Conversion Van with 3.2L V8
The "maintenance light" came on with 59,759 miles. Considering the mileage I was wondering if this is a periodic service warning?
Can I reset it myself? If there is a bonafide service need can I determine the reason myself? Perhaps with one of those service code readers?
Thanks for your expertise.
Mark E
In article

Assume you mean a '5.2L' V-8

No.
The light came on because a fault was detected. The results you'd achieve with a cheap code reader are hard to predict, but yes, it''s entirely possible.

No - that's a check engine light. There is a separate 'Maintenance Required' light that IS triggered by time/mileage. It's not about fault detection...
In article

On a 2001?

Pretty sure... I know my '99 had one (only ever saw it light up during an instrument cluster self-test), and I found a couple of posts from others with a '98 that had it light up, as well. Given that the '98 thru '01 trucks were basically the same, I wouldn't expect that to be any different on an '01.
I'm also fairly certain that the MIL on an '01 is actually the words "CHECK ENGINE" in orange (I don't have my '99 anymore, so I can't easily verify).

Correction - looks like for '01, this was changed to an engine icon.

Stop in at any Autozone store. They have a code reader and will read it for you for FREE. They can (and usually will) also reset it (clear it) for you but if it comes back then you need to get it fixed. There are hundreds of codes and literally thousands of things that can cause them, so all advice comes with a grain of salt. What fixes a specific code for someone may not fix the same exact code for someone else.
It has nothing to do with the mileage on your vehicle.
2006 08:54:57 -0700, ag1380 wrote:

On my 2002 B2500, the engine light only comes on to indicate a problem. No need for a ODB reader since I can see the error code by turning the ignition on-off-on-off-on. If you just want to look up a code or two, you can do it at http://www.obdii.com/codes.asp
Full lists of all codes can also be found via google.com.
Thanks to everyone, the code is the P0443, which is "Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction". Is this typically the valve? I presume the circuit is monitored so it could be a wiring problem and not just the valve? This van is used to carry hunting dogs to training sessions, often across wash-board style dirt roads. Could something have rattled loose? Do I have to buy the factory shop manual to get the test procedure for diagnosing this problem?
Thank you,
Mark E
Steve Ackman wrote:

Another possibility? This car belongs to my girlfriend, she said that the light came on shortly before she stopped to get gas. When she removed the gas cap there was an outrush of air from the tank as though it was pressurized. She indicated that she had not noticed this before. Isn't there a charcoal canister associated with this system? Could that be clogged up and cause the "pressurized" gas tank and generate this fault code?
Thanks again
Mark E

No..there IS a purge valve that sounds like its failed.