My 2003 truck is rusting

Page 1 of 4
My 2003 has rust. I had chrome wheel well covers put on by the dodge dealership where I bought the truck new. Also had moulded dodge mud flaps put on.Put these on to protect the truck from stone chips.
Just a couple weeks ago, I took of the flaps off to clean them. Some sand got trapped inside the flaps and washed them. Then I decided to take the chrome wheel well covers of to see if anything needed cleaning. Found the paint was bubbling and peeling in two spots. About the size of a silver dollar. Where the holes were drilled to fasten the mouldings, the paint around them was rusting.
My local dodge dealer (who didn't sell me the truck) took pictures of this and sent them out to the area rep. They tell me on Thursday, that Dodge will not fix the rust. Its not the fault of the truck. The installation of accessories is not covered. So who ever drilled the holes to install the guards will have to cover the problem. Had two estimates to have the four fenders pained about $1300. Now the shop foreman, where I bought my truck at Dodge City in Saskatoon, is going to talk to the same area rep.
I know Dodge will tell him its not the trucks fault, that the holes should never been drilled. Question is: Dodge sells these mouldings through parts so how are you suppose to install them, screws come with them.
Anyhow I know I'm going to be stuck with the painting. Got to get it fixed, can not have it get worse. I'm going to get the truck painted even if I have to pay for it.
So, anybody out there, don't put those moulding on. Salt and sand gets between them and the paint.
Friday, went out and drove a 2005 ford F250, crewcab. Very nice riding truck. Might have to go Monday and price it out.
Dodge has really disappointed me, after 5 dodge trucks, maybe time to switch. dale
Yonzie:
The "Mopar" molded splash guards come with screws that have a sealer on the threads to prevent this very thing from happening. I would mention this to the dealer and he should mention this to their rep as well. If you would have installed aftermarket splash guards, I would say you are on your own, but since you installed Mopar accessories, they have an obligation to help you out.
Mike

The splash guards were not the problem, I had the chrome wheel well trims installed by dodge and they were not mopar parts. So dodge won't do anything, I have to afte the dealership.
So this afternoon, I talked to the shop foreman, and he is still waiting to hear from dodge.
Here in Sask they mix salt and sand in the city for icy streets. Inside the moulded mud flaps, they were have filled with sand. This was far down enough that it did not touch any paint.
I would recommend anyone who has any trims on, to take them off now and then to clean out any cunk. dale
On 8/8/05 3:22 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, "Mike

Dale, before you go to ford, take a 05 CTD for a spin.
Roy

Yea, that makes sence. Dodge screws him with damage that they caused with their parts and service so he punishes them by buying another and more expensive Dodge, yea, that will teach em, LOL.

On 8/8/05 6:42 AM, in article xrSdnX5Hv snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, "Roy"

I got the cummins, I really like it and get good mileage. Today drove to Saskatoon, 80 mile trip from the farm, was reading around 21 mpg. I priced out a 2005, they want 18,000 diff with taxes. The trucks up here are around 59,000. With the new staff pricing incentive on 2005, it comes down to around 52,000.

Yeah, by all means, trade in your truck because someone installed some fender trim incorrectly. Who exactly are you trying to spite here?
It was not just someone, it was a Dodge dealership and they used Dodge performance parts. If they don't back up their work or parts, only an idiot would stick with them.
"Tom Lawrence" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Right... so instead of either fixing the problem and continuing on, or going back to the people who screwed up the installation and getting them to fix it (as they should - they're certainly at fault), he's going to take a bath on either selling or trading the truck, losing at least three times what it will cost to fix it. And while we're on the subject of fixing it, a $1,300 paint job? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the rust behind the trim, which is why he didn't notice it until removing the trim? If so, who really cares if it's an exact match or not... mask the area off, sand the rust away, shoot it with a good rust-inhibiting primer (out of a can), then put on a coat of 'close-enough' top coat, and put the trim back on. There... problem solved - for about $30 in materials and a few hours of work.
But that aside - my original point was that getting rid of the truck is stupid. Sure, by all means, never do business with that dealer again. But getting rid of the truck impacts no one but himself.
On 8/8/05 5:00 PM, in article DuRJe.2675$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net, "Tom Lawrence"

painted. Today, I talked to bodyshop. They have to paint the whole fenders. The mouldings on the top edges rubbed the paint. I tried waxing the marks off,but they still show up.
Its the salt and sand that gets into these mouldings, so I'm not going to take them off and put them back on during the winter when I wash the truck. The screws that they used to install these mouldings, were badly rusted. Had philip screw heads and some had to drill out.
Next question????? What can a person do to protect that narrow piece of fender, the inside lip from stone chips??
Look at the Ford, some gm, they have a plastic trim factory installed around the wheel well. I had an 97 expedition with these on, had no problem with the paint or rust.

Dale,
Check out http://www.goline-x.com/other_uses.shtml or http://tinyurl.com/dbfte and go down the red listed 'other applications' and you will find "General Automotive; Jeep floorboards, Van interiors, wheel well undercoating, motorcycle fenders (underside), body panels as rock guard protection, etc"
That was Line-X, this is Rino. http://www.rhinolinings.com/RL/main/protection/colorpicker.jsp or http://tinyurl.com/dggcp shows how they do simular, but will color match.
--

FMB
(only one B in FMB)

It appears that we have both misread each others posts. I never suggested that he dump his vehicle and take a loss from doing so. What I said was that if DC is unwilling to protect it's customers from damage caused by one of its dealerships and he buys another one whenever, then all he is really doing is rewarding the company for screwing him over and encouraging it do it again. It looked to me like your post suggested that he just make and pay for the repairs himself and forget about it and stick with Dodge and the dealer. I can see in your response that this is not the case, but the entire company must take some blame here, not just the dealer and if they are unwilling to correct the problem that they caused....

No, I know that. The OP suggested that himself.

That's akin to saying you'll never buy a John Deere tractor again, because the last time it was in the repair shop, they scratched it up. DC has absolutely nothing to do with the problems he is having... that responsibility lies solely with the dealership service department. Remember, this wasn't a warranty repair - this was the dealership installing an aftermarket part at the customer's request - no different than if a private shop did the same. The dealership is it's own business. Yes, they sell DC products, and represent DC for warranty purposes, but the work they do for profit is their work, and theirs alone.
By all means, never go back to that dealership for service again, but to condemn the manufacturer, and to go further and dump the vehicle at a financial loss, makes absolutely no sense.

That is not how I read it. What I thought he was saying is that with the way Dodge handled the situation, his next new truck may be a FORD, not that he was going to dump his current Dodge for a FORD tomorrow but I could be wrong.

LOL, that has no valid comparrison to it at all.

Which is a paid representitive of DC.

It most certainly is different. A private shop has no connection with the manufacturer at all and is not authorized by DC to do anything to the vehicle, very different than a dealership.

Yep, and part of their business is representing the manufacturer. The manufacturer is responsible for making sure that they are represented correctly and by people willing to stand behind their work, warranty or not.

I do not agree, not when it comes to them making modifications on the vehicles that they are authorized by the manufacturer to perform service and warranty work on.

I agree with not dumping the vehicle at a loss unless he intends to get rid of it before it becomes a worthless rusted hulk. As for condemning the manufacturer, they should be with the way they appeared to have handled the situation. They authorized this dealership service department to work on these vehicles and should put pressure on them to correct errors that they caused, not just blow off the customer like they seemed to have done.

That is an _excellent_ comparison!

DC does not pay the dealership a dime! Any profits the dealership earns are the result of sales by the dealer.

No different than the dealership! By installing an aftermarket accessory, DC is take out of the loop and thus has no culpablity for the problem. Sorry if you can't/won't understand this.

When the dealership chose to sell/install an aftermarket part, the dealership no longer represents DC.
The

The dealership does have an obligation to stand behind the work that they do, that's undeniable, but DC has no obligation whatsoever in this issue.

You may not agree, but facts is facts!

Really???? How??? How does the improper installation of a part by someone that represents the manufacturer compare with a mechanic accidently scratching the vehicle?

Really???? Then I guess that your dealership does its warranty work for free and if not, then you are a P A I D representative..

Of course you would say that Mike, you work for one but it is still not true.

You are correct in that they have no legal obligation but they still have an obligation to their customers that the dealerships that carry their name will stand behind the work they do and if not, then DC is no better than their worst dealership and anyone that buys from them in that case is a fool.

LOL, as long as the dealership carries the manufacturers name on the sign outside and does the work on one of the manufacturers vehicles for whatever reason, it always represents the manufacturer which in this case is DC.

DC does have an obligation to its customers if it intends on keeping them. The days of complete blind brand loyalty has for the most part come to and end. While it may still seem to exist in a limited way in here, in reality, many will and are doing what Dale is considering, IOW, screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.

You are correct here Mike and "the facts is" that if the manufacturer is unwilling to help a customer resolve a problem with one of its representatives, then it no longer deserves that customers business.

OK, you _know_ that this is not true, how? My simple minded little friend, I have a dealer warranty and policy guidebook in my office which is as thick as a NYC phone book. In it, it covers virtually every scenario a D/C dealer might encounter. I have over time, read this book from cover to cover. In this tome, it specifically states that D/C is not liable for any aftermarket accessories sold by the dealership. Further, the dealer agreement that every dealer _must_ sign specifically exempts D/C from any liability due to an error by the dealership. Legal minds have worked these things out over _many_ years! How is it then, that your knowledge is superior to those who actually _DO_ this for a living? Just because you _wish_ something is so _doesn't_ make it so. Now, why don't you go buy that Ferd you've been talking about and go annoy the snot of of that NG with your "superior" knowledge of the industry.... hmmmmmm?
Mike

other news group? dale

No! T-Bone... he keeps saying he's gonna buy a Ferd.... I'm just encouranging him to do so..... I would _hate_ to see you buy a Ferd :^)
Mike