new dakota shakes when braking

Hey everyone, been a while since I posted here but I need some help. I just bought traded my 98 dakota for an '05 4x4 quad cab and everything was great
with it until about a week ago I noticed that at high speeds (60+) when I brake whether hard or gradually, The entire truck (not just the steering wheel) vibrates. I had asked a friend about and he said it might be warped rotors, But i wasn't so sure cause it only has about 2500 miles. Any advice is appreciated as always.
--
Kevin

Warped back rotors is the problem for sure, if only shakes during braking. If it shakes during braking it is warped brakes, steering wheel if front rest of truck if back.

Could be tires as well. Check for balancing and out of round.

I have drums on the back, could the rear pads have chips or gouges in them? causing the vibration.

just
it
2500
Dakota only had rear disc brakes on some 2004 models, it was dropped for 2005. "

Kevin Cooper wrote:

The minute you say "...brake problem...." somebody is going to shout "Warped Rotors". That's been a real problem with dakotas for years. At least, that's what people claim. However, nobody has actually placed a dial indicator on the rotors to find out. People take their trucks back to the dealer claiming the rotors are warped. The dealer either doesn't want to mess with it, or just wants to shut the guy up. So they replace the rotors without checking. Then the same guy comes back in 10K miles screaming about his "warped rotors" again. And the cycle continues.
First, read this: http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm
Second, use a dial indicator and actually check your rotors. Mine have almost 70K miles and they are still well within specs.
Finally, check for the many other things that can cause this symptom: Tie rod ends, steering rack, broken rear spring, etc.
--
.boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

what kind of pads would you recommend replacing them with?

It is all by choice, any good quality pad is suggested. Bosch, Raybestos. I have good luck with Morse, the ceramic ones are nice because they are so much cleaner on your mag rims. Very little brake dust developes on the rims. But if you do alot of towing or hauling, go get yourself a nice new set of crossdrilled and slotted rotors. most they set you back is a $100.00 for the set.And never worry about them again after that.
SCOTT

Scott S. wrote:

I'd have to partly disagree with you, Scott. And so does Baer Brakes and Wilwood brakes. Slots and cross drillling is simply for looks, and has no functional value. And, you can't cut a rotor like that. When you get a little wear you have to pitch it and buy a new one. Cross drilled rotors do not last nearly as long as a solid. Mostly because they develop stress cracks around the holes. Rotors with holes and slots will give you worse braking performance than a simple solid surface. The brakes work by converting rotational energy into heat, by way of friction. The greater the surface area, the greater the friction. Make the surface area smaller, and you lose effectiveness. As for pads, I think you're right on. While I was researching pads, one of the manufacturers (can't remember which one) recommended not using ceramics for towing.
--
.boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!