not shifting out of 1st gear

I have a 99 Dod Ram 1500. It`s not wanting to shift out of 1st. Rpms go up & I have to let off gas. Then it shifts into 2nd. Could this be an O2 sensor ?

Reply to
coltsfan

i have the same problem in my 97 dakota, except its with second gear, it only seems to do it when everything hasnt warmed up yet.

Reply to
itsmyfallt

No.... it's most definately not an O2 sensor...

It could be that the front band is out of adjustment, and letting the front drum slip under higher engine power. It could be a faulty TPS sensor, thinking you're at WOT, and letting the engine wind out in 1st. It could be a mis-adjusted (too-tight) TV cable, delaying the upshift because of higher line pressure.

Check the band and TV cable adjustments first, because they're mechanical and easy to check. If that doesn't do it, back-probe the TPS with a multi-meter (analog preferred), and check the output voltage in reference to the throttle position - see if it's incorrectly reading WOT at a partial throttle setting.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

VSS

replace it and get on with life