OT -- Looking to upgrade Computer

Page 4 of 5

working on a Computer Science degree, this quarter is Unix/Linux server administration.
--
Chris

Crag:

Beryl is around 8 on Mohs Scale.

Fuchsite - Crag's fave site, with perfect cleavage
Dickite - Crag adores this mineral, can't keep his hands off
Fukalite - When Crag's got an extra minute in the men's room
Kinoshitalite - Crag leaves these in the bushes
Coprolite - Stone on Mrs. Crag's wedding ring

Emerald
Party in Crag's mouth, everyone's cummingtonite

Chris, so you know, though I think you might be aware, I did not mention anything about that board simply because I am not familiar with it.

thats what i figured
--
Chris

Chris Thompson wrote:

Bullshit. I don't care whether you make up nicknames for people or not, subtle comments don't go unnoticed.

I think your AMD/MachSpeed bundle is too low-end. At least the CPU is.

I never heard of MachSpeed. I hear MSI and Gigabyte are good brands. Asus usually is good. Abit was good, probably still is.

I never proclaimed myself net nanny. I did notice punkin playing the role, so I decided to see if he can take it as well as dish it out. Nope, he's a real whiner when he's on the receiving end.

Nope.

Good im glad you can notice subtle comments. still not gonna have a pissin match with you.

Well thanks for the input.

neither had i thats why i asked if anyone else had any experiance with them.

--
Chris

Chris Thompson wrote:

Still gonna call you Crissy anyway.

I disagree with miles about abit being lower end. They're a small company that became famous for "enthusiast" boards. They steadily crank out new BIOS versions, even for boards that are out of production. They're the only brand I'm aware of that accepted responsibility for the widespread capacitor problem several years back and replaced affected boards free, even long after the warranties were expired.
But as miles says, there are hits and misses. If you're not a tinkerer, Asus is more of a buy-it-and-forget-it board.

Maybe you should do some research than, FoxConn which is what Dell was using and may still be did the same. We still run into an occasional board with bad caps, and they are replaced, no questions asked.
azwiley1 wrote:

MSI as well as many other manufactures replaced boards free even after the warranty period was up.
punkin:

Twit, I did some research.
"ABIT has so far been the only motherboard manufacturer to admit to using capacitors that were of a poor standard, and eventually recalled and repaired any boards from users that did fail."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abit

Well, twit, you are wrong, they were not and are not the only ones, but you will believe it because you want too. Funny how I even give you manufactures name that did it and you still think you are the only one that is right.

sheryl:
your confidence in motherboard manufacturers is nice. nice, but very stupid. your own quote, as above, pretty much says it all.
abit "has so far" been the only motherboard manufacturer "to admit".....
you have shown yourself to be quite a fool in your short time on this ng sheryl. you have actually gone to incredible lengths to show yourself as a fool, but then everyone has to be good at something. never the less, you are really reaching beyond your normal bounds of stupidity with this post.
once again, you have shown how talented you are at making yourself appear as an ass clown.

Which is why I killfiled it months ago.

Sad thing with kill files are if the person gets responses you still wind up seeing it. the only person i have ever successfully kill filed was the MI5victum crap. nobody ever responds to that so its like it never shows up =)
otherwise kill files are junk
--
Chris

Chris Thompson wrote:

Yes, "so far". And at an early time. Are you expecting more?

Yes, "to admit". A policy announcement. Forthcoming.

But they do give folks solace. HeartBurn and Crag feel empowered after periodic announcements that they've killfiled me.
Anyway, spend enough on a good quality power supply.

i think they just feel "liberated", so to speak. sometimes you become more than stupid. you become.........well, just very weird. sort of pathological like weird. like embarrassing weird.......although that doesn't even describe it well. sometimes you are like a bacterial thing.......i just want to wash my hands over and over to get rid of you. sort of like hannibal lector. anyway sheryl, you get the idea.

Beryl wrote:

They have always been cheap low end boards sold along side the likes of other low end boards such as PC-CHIPS. Like them they're also sold under a variety of brand labels.
miles wrote:

It was a tossup between Asus A7V or Abit KT7A when I was buying the stuff for my second PC. They were comparable, sold side-by-side. I picked up an A7V because the Abits were sold out.

You mean like ASRock, the cheapy brand from Asus?
Beryl wrote:

No. ASUS does not sell the same identical board as both a higher priced and a cheap 2nd label board. ABit does just like PC-Chips.
miles wrote:

What do they skimp on for the ASRock brand? Features? Parts quality? Workmanship?
ABit does just like PC-Chips.
I didn't know that! And I had the impression that PC Chips was already a bargain brand, but they're sold even cheaper? What Abit boards are disguised under another name?