OT-Tolerance

Page 4 of 8  

Speaking only for me ...
http://homepage.mac.com/mcraigchr/budd6.htm
Craig C.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Budd Cochran wrote:

Thats because you have nothing to brag about in that regard. You have never shown any level of tolerance towards differing beliefs.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Only if you can prove the existence of God and the validity of the Bible.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Generally, with the exception of the extreme fundamentalist, you will find the Christian more tolerant of the beliefs of others than you will find others to the beliefs of Christians. They (the christian) may tell you you are wrong, but will accept you regardless. The Atheist or non Christian (whether Islamist, Jew, or Humanist) tells the Christian he is wrong, ridicules him, and demands not to be exposed to anything, or subjected to anything that smacks of, or reminds him of, Christianity.
Why is it that of todays nations, the most tolerant are those where Christianity has been, historically, the predominant belief system??????
As a Christian, I'll tolerate your view, whatever it is. I won't necessarily agree with you - but I'll let you believe whatever you like, as long as it does not infringe upon the rights of others (whether that be myself, as a Christian, or anyone else). You don't need to prove anything to me.
Can you say the same??
--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Suddenly, without warning, clare at snyder.on.ca exclaimed (11-Nov-06 9:30 AM):

Actually, yes. I'm not particularly religious (well, not in the mainstream sense), but I strongly believe in your right to believe however you want to.
Also, I think you're stereotyping a bit. Not all Atheists ridicule those who believe in a God, neither do the others you mention. Of course, there are those that do, just as there are Christians that will tell me I'm going to hell because I don't follow their particular mode of worship. Also, Bud is a Christian and isn't tolerant of anyone else's beliefs...
Christian, Buddhist, Druid, whatever. You have the right to your beliefs. You can even believe I'm going to hell, I don't particularly mind, since I know I'm not. Certainly, someone (probably millions of someones) out there believes you're going to hell because you don't believe as they do - does that mean you are? Probably not. None of us will know who's right until we die. And depending on your particular belief, maybe not even then.
jmc
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

A logical female that can make cc cookies..... This is getting scary.
<VBG>
Denny
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Suddenly, without warning, Denny exclaimed (11-Nov-06 1:11 PM):

Oh, I'm sure *someone* will show up here soon and tell me how illogical I am :)
jmc
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Who, me? Female?
Um - NO. Not last time I checked anyway.
--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Suddenly, without warning, clare at snyder.on.ca exclaimed (11/11/2006 2:43 PM):

I think he was talking to me.
jmc
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:27:21 +0930, jmc

Could be - lots of people see "clare" and think female.
--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
<clare at snyder.on.ca> wrote in message

Therein lies the crux of the issue, by insisting that "Christian values" be the law of the land you (Christians in general) infringe upon the rights of those who don't believe such nonsense.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

And there you go, calling Christian beliefs nonsense. THAT is the crux of the issue, as I see it. I might say you are wrong in your beliefs (if any) but I do not say yours are nonsense. My belief (if it is so) that "Christian values" be the basis for the laws of the land is nonsense, and infringes on your rights. However, Your belief that there should be NO values as the basis of the law of the land doesn't encroach on my rights, or the rights af any other person who believes there is right or wrong? Or that there needs to be a basis for laws?
The basic fundamental values ridiculed as "Christian values" are also the core values of MANY other "religions" of the world.The ten commandments, for example, were given to (Moses) ( an Isrealite) the man who was a forfather of not only the Christian, but the Jew and the Muslim as well.
I understand, to you, and many others, all three are "nonsense" and the concept of an all-powerfull God, whatever you want to call Him/it/Her, is heresy. The thought that ANYTHING or ANYONE should have any power over you is unthinkable. So be it. But do not insist that anarchy must reign so your supremacy can not be challenged.
--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Suddenly, without warning, clare at snyder.on.ca exclaimed (12-Nov-06 7:48 AM):

See, there's one of my personal annoyances. You're of course entitled to your beliefs, but I strongly disagree with the thought that if something isn't based on a religion, it by definition cannot be moral or right.
I am not religious, however I lead a moral life. I'm not perfect - noone is - but I try my best. I know many so-called religious people that cannot say that. As far as I'm concerned, morality <> religiousness. If you are a moral person, you shouldn't need religion to tell you how to behave, and if you are a truly amoral person you'll probably do wrong no matter how religious you are.
A government, therefore, does not have to subscribe to a particular religion in order to create moral laws. We're supposedly a Christian nation now, and look what's happening to our government, and our laws!
jmc
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 09:53:15 +0930, jmc

There is no such thing as a "christian nation", and the "moral life" im most ways follows the "christian values", whether that is YOUR reasoning or not. If you accept the values, why the hangup about "religion". Christianity is not a religion in the first place - it is a way of life and a relationship to god. A religion is man reaching for God. Christianity is God reached down to man.
--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Suddenly, without warning, clare at snyder.on.ca exclaimed (12-Nov-06 10:18 AM):

Yes, I am aware of that. But Christianity doesn't have some sort of monopoly on moral values. They were around long before Christianity or even Jesus Christ. Other religions include these values in their tenets as well.
A person isn't automatically a Christian because they believe in a God and have a decent moral code. I've even known extremely moral people who are atheists. So you don't even have to believe in a God to lead a moral life.
jmc
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 13:23:03 +0930, jmc

Not the point. Why does everybody get bent out of shape because someone talks about "christian values" if they espouse the same values themselves? Not saying you do, but MANY do. It is because they don't want to admit there may be a god, and that he MIGHT be relevant today, and that perhaps they MAY be wrong????? Forget that the values preceded Christianity by something like 4000? years, they did not precede God.
Anyway, enough of this.
--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:08:33 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

thank you.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
<clare at snyder.on.ca> wrote in message wrote:

Do you believe that what Budd has been doing is merely espouseing values?????
If so we are not reading the same post's

Yup, your right.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I've not read Budds Rants - I'm talkin' about the rest o' ya.

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
<clare at snyder.on.ca> wrote in message wrote:

Well, perhaps if you did read them it would give you a better understanding.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.