winch installation

12,000# mile marker hydraulic winch installation on an '05 cummins ram. http://inlinediesel.com/tech/mm

Mile Marker also makes a 9,000# and 10,500# winch. Why was the largest winch chosen? Even the two smaller winches could lift the entire truck off the ground with the use of a single line pull.
You made a great point that a lot of unused power is wasted in the power steering system. It was nice to read that there was no effect on the steering system.
The lack of a required electrical upgrade is another great reason to go hydraulic.
People should also be aware that if any hardware is lost to resist the temptation to run to Home Depot to replace nuts and bolts. If this winch and chassis is going to see a 12,000 pull, it's more than likely that either grade 5 or grade 8 harware is required.
Is the rated speed of the winch rated with the engine idling? Or, does varying the speed of the engine increase the line speed?
Great install, good luck with it. John

Ever get a 9,000lb. truck stuck in the mud? The typical rule of thumb in sizing a winch is 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle.
Nope, I never got a 9000# truck stuck. I've never even driven a 9000# truck.
What kind of truck do you drive that weighs 9000#? Unless you go 4 wheeling with a fully loaded truck, a 3500 weighs 7000#, making the 10,500 adequate by your rule.

The truck? No. A truck loaded with materials and tools, can easily exceed 9,000 (GVWR in a SRW 3500 is 9,900lbs. I was being conservative). Since Nate uses his truck for work, and not so much recreation, the possibility is pretty good that if were to get it stuck, it would be with a decent load in the bed.
And again, with more being better, and the price difference between the 10.5K and 12K winches ($200), why not get the greater capacity? Something else to consider - winches are at their rated capacity on the first wrap only. For the 12K winch, on the 2nd wrap of 3/8" cable, you're down to 9,400lbs. On the 10.5K winch, you're down to 8,500 on the 2nd wrap.
Again - just my opinion, but if I were to put one on my truck, I wouldn't think twice about going with the larger unit.
You made some good points. I've just never gone off road fully loaded.
The point you made about multiple wraps of cable lowering capacity is something I wouldn't have thought of. That alone justifies a larger unit. Seems like with a smaller unit you might have to find a tree located further away just to get down a few layers of cable lower on the spool.

Me neither. At least not intentionally :) (Seems the only times I've been stuck have been when I wasn't _TRYING_ to get stuck)

True. And with 100ft. of cable, that could be a long way. Most times, though, you'll use a snatch block and come back to the truck, hooking the winch hook to a tow hook, cutting your cable length in half, while doubling your pulling power - giving you 24,000lbs. of pulling out of the 12K winch. That should be just enough to yank a full-size truck buried in thick, sticky mud up to it's frame rails.... maybe :)
Tom Lawrence wrote:

hell even if i couldnt justify the larger winch as a necessity i would still buy it just because it has more power and as a man..... :-)
Nathan http://InlineDiesel.com

Aha... Kinda like why I "needed" a s&w model 500..... <BG>
Denny
John wrote:

empty mine weighs 8000# and my truck hasnt been empty since i brought it home. :-) in fact, i had towed a nearly 10,000# trailer to the dealership with the truck that i traded in, and towed it home with the dually the first time i ever drove it (didnt even bother with a test drive before i bought the truck!).

heh....in montana in the winter, the interstates can be as impassable as any trail youve ever been on......and thats the interstates that are plowed. you should see the highways and back country roads. :-) billings isnt to bad but i dont limit my travels to billings. while travelling into the more rural areas during the winter i carry several days worth of survival provisions.
John wrote:

i also have the 10,500# for my jeep. http://7slotgrille.com/projects/05rubicon/mm /

yesterday at the dump i was weighed going into and leaving. on the way out with me, two small kids, and the winch mounted my dually weighed 8000 pounds on the nose. add to this that 95% of the time im pulling a trailer weighing nearly 10,000 pounds and even the 12,000# winch requires a snatch block (worse case scenario).

yes, the winch will operate at full capacity at engine idle.

many thanks. i hope i never need it, but its nice to know i have it i i do.
Nathan http://InlineDiesel.com